Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calamari stuffed with mushrooms and shrimps
I love squid or calamari, although I must confess that it can be a little boring if it is just the plain old crumbed and deep fried variety. I really enjoy a calamari stew, the way the Portuguese and Greeks make it, particularly if it is made with lots of garlic and fresh chili. But the best of all is stuffed calamari.

The nice thing about stuffed calamari is that oneÂ’s options for the stuffing are virtually endless. Anything from cooked rice, fresh fish, prawns, shrimps, mushrooms and cheese, to peppers, parsley, chili and garlic can be used.

And you can use a variety of sauces to bake the stuffed calamari in, from simple olive oil, butter and a dash of wine, to rich creamy sauces.

This recipe is delightful and very easy. If youÂ’ve never done it before, this is a good one to start off with:

For the mushroom and shrimp stuffed calamari you will need:
• 500g calamari tubes, cleaned and dried
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 100g mushrooms, finely chopped
• 1 small tin of shrimps, drained
• 180g chunky cottage cheese
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
• a pinch of thyme
• 200 ml dry white wine
• ¾ cup sour cream
• 1 egg yolk, beaten, salt and pepper
• Butter to cook with

Melt a little butter in a saucepan and over low heat soften the onion, garlic and mushroom.
Add salt and black pepper.
Pour off liquid and add the shrimps to this mixture.
Separately, mix the parsley, thyme and cheese.
Now put the two mixtures together and set aside.
Using your fingers and a small fork or spoon, fill the calamari tubes with this stuffing.
Place the stuffed calamari tubes in an oven-proof dish.
In a saucepan warm the wine and the sour cream, but do not boil.
Pour the warm wine and cream over the egg yolk and stir well.
Pour back into saucepan and warm through, stirring until it starts to thicken.
Pour the sauce over the calamari.
Sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs.
In an oven pre-heated to 160 Deg C bake the calamari for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
Optional: If you like garlic as much as I do, add a clove or two of crushed garlic to the calamari when you place it in the oven to bake.
Serve with rice and fresh bread to soak up the lovely juices