Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cholesterol
Sometime ago Icecub posted on this forum that she had a high cholesterol count. I cannot find that thread, sorry Icecub!!
In the meantime, some more of us had similar experiences..........
My cholesterol count was 7.7, the doctor then sent of for a thyroid function test and the results were that I was in a dangerous state of hypothyroidism ( which may have accounted for the hight cholesterol reading)......... after a few weeks' of taking the thyroid tablets, the cholesterol count did lower somewhat, but in spite of the fact that I am not someone who likes animal fats etc, the count was still too high. I deciced to include Flora Pro-activ products in my diet and the reading is now a good 5.5... considering my age, the fact that I do not have diabetes, do not smoke, etc, keeps me in the "green area" regarding CVD.

How are the rest of you getting along?
hi

i havent had one of these tests
what are the side effects? did u just decide to go and test for this as rountine?
My cholestorol is 3.1. The healthy average is around 4.5.

The doctor (as usual) nearly fell off his chair when he got the test results back as I am clinically obese with a bmi of 41 (I weigh in at 132kg).
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
My cholestorol is 3.1. The healthy average is around 4.5.

The doctor (as usual) nearly fell off his chair when he got the test results back as I am clinically obese with a bmi of 41 (I weigh in at 132kg).

that is a good number then :thumbs:

is it not affected by the amount of fats you eat, the level? i am quite ignorant on the topic
perhaps i should go for a test
Quote:Originally posted by jewels
that is a good number then :thumbs:

is it not affected by the amount of fats you eat, the level? i am quite ignorant on the topic
perhaps i should go for a test

It is affected by your diet and to some extent by your activity level.

It stymies the doctors as they just see a large person in front of them and don't believe me when I tell them that I am quite active and follow a healthy lifestyle and diet. It takes tests like this to prove to them that I am in fact telling the truth. Have to admit I get a kick out of it as well Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
It is affected by your diet and to some extent by your activity level.

It stymies the doctors as they just see a large person in front of them and don't believe me when I tell them that I am quite active and follow a healthy lifestyle and diet. It takes tests like this to prove to them that I am in fact telling the truth. Have to admit I get a kick out of it as well Big Grin

well done BB :thumbs:
maybe u are all muscle !!!
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Sometime ago Icecub posted on this forum that she had a high cholesterol count. I cannot find that thread, sorry Icecub!!
In the meantime, some more of us had similar experiences..........
My cholesterol count was 7.7, the doctor then sent of for a thyroid function test and the results were that I was in a dangerous state of hypothyroidism ( which may have accounted for the hight cholesterol reading)......... after a few weeks' of taking the thyroid tablets, the cholesterol count did lower somewhat, but in spite of the fact that I am not someone who likes animal fats etc, the count was still too high. I deciced to include Flora Pro-activ products in my diet and the reading is now a good 5.5... considering my age, the fact that I do not have diabetes, do not smoke, etc, keeps me in the "green area" regarding CVD.

How are the rest of you getting along?

I do not know where my cholesterol is at, but I do know that my Mom's was very high and she used all the Flora Activ range and it has come down...been tested at the Dr.

I know Boots is doing free cholesterol tests, and I plan on going and finding out what mine is.
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
Jewels, you only need to have your cholesterol levels tested if you are a male, over 45, history of high blood pressure, diabetes and / or of Asian descent. For females the rule of thumb is post-menopausal, high blood pressure, diabetes, Asian descent.
In both sexes, if one is overweight, that is also a factor to be considered.
Bushbaby, you are fortunate to have such a low cholesterol count!

Inactivity, obesity, etc are all contributing factors, but so is genetics.
There are various websites on this topic, the following is a good one:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/199_chol.html
thanks Joan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Cholesterol... Icecub 38 14,216 19-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Joan