Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deal reached in platinum strike
Platinum producers have announced that an 'in principle' agreement has been reached in the five-month strike over wages.

Mining companies Amplats, Implats and Lonmin said on Thursday that undertakings had been reached with the leadership of the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) in respect of wages and conditions of employment.

Amcu is expected to discuss the 'in principle' undertakings with its members to seek a mandate to accept offers which, if given, will bring to an end 21-week long strike.

The mines said they will receive feedback from Amcu on Friday.

Amcu members downed tools on January 23, demanding a basic monthly salary of R12 500.

The strike has reportedly cost platinum producers R21 billion in lost revenue and workers R1 billion in lost wages.

The Minister of Mineral Resources, Ngoako Ramatlhodi, on Tuesday announced the withdrawal of an inter-governmental task team in the wage dispute in order to exert pressure on platinum producers and Amcu to move towards a common ground.

The task team was set up two weeks ago, following the appointment of the new minister. – SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension of mine strike Newsroom 0 2,545 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SAAT concludes wage deal with AUSA Newsroom 0 3,007 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Striking mine workers called to end strike Newsroom 0 2,611 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Premier optimistic at mediation in platinum strike Newsroom 0 2,805 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Ramatlhodi moves in to end mine strike Newsroom 0 3,157 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  End of metalworkers’ strike Newsroom 0 3,510 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  New chocolate plant, a sweet deal for jobs Newsroom 0 2,804 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: