Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension of mine strike
Pretoria - North West Premier Thandi Modise has welcomed the decision by the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) to call off the strike at two Anglo American Platinum mines in Rustenburg.

Modise said Amcu’s decision, which was confirmed by Amplats on Tuesday, was encouraging and it was a positive development towards ending conflict in the platinum mining sector.

“The suspension of the strike should be followed up with a demonstration of commitment by all stakeholders to peaceful co-existence and building a relationship that is based on trust and respect.

“The employer and trade union organisations should avoid any actions that might adversely affect this relationship,” said Modise.

She also called on parties to give the peace agreement brokered by Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe a chance.

Motlanthe was tasked by President Jacob Zuma to help restore peace and stability in the mining sector.

Over 5 000 workers at the Thembelani and Khuseleka 1 mines near Rustenburg went on strike on Monday, demanding that suspended Amcu officials be reinstated.

Anglo American suspended the officials last week for participating in an illegal protest that prevented other workers from returning to the surface from their underground shift.

The decision to suspend the strike comes ahead of wage talks in the gold sector, which are scheduled for Thursday. – SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Striking mine workers called to end strike Newsroom 0 2,588 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Premier optimistic at mediation in platinum strike Newsroom 0 2,784 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Ramatlhodi moves in to end mine strike Newsroom 0 3,132 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Deal reached in platinum strike Newsroom 0 3,078 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  End of metalworkers’ strike Newsroom 0 3,471 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: