Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra Mural
Does anyone have children that do many extra mural activities? (And what are they?)

Connor shall soon have three after school activities and I'm wondering if that is too many for a child two months shy of seven?

All of his are independant of school and I'm hoping that way, he makes some friends outside of the playground.

I just don't want him to reach burnout... but at the same time, I don't want him to miss out! Does that make sense? Two of the activities are sport related and the other is Beavers (which he is so excited about!).
In love there are two things - bodies and words.
Cali Wrote:Does anyone have children that do many extra mural activities? (And what are they?)

Connor shall soon have three after school activities and I'm wondering if that is too many for a child two months shy of seven?

All of his are independant of school and I'm hoping that way, he makes some friends outside of the playground.

I just don't want him to reach burnout... but at the same time, I don't want him to miss out! Does that make sense? Two of the activities are sport related and the other is Beavers (which he is so excited about!).

Cali...I think it is a good idea for children to have activities outside of school...as you say he will make new friends..

just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be getting overly tired then cut out one of the activities.....too many kids sit indoors on their playstations and dont get the exercise that they need...and especially as so many schools have cut down on their playing fields.
I find it quite annoying (is that the right word?) that his school don't even use their playing field... only for sports day and the school fair. That's twice a year and to me, that's seems almost unbelievable. They have violin and recorder and choir and dance, but all for the ones in year three and above.
Cali Wrote:I find it quite annoying (is that the right word?) that his school don't even use their playing field... only for sports day and the school fair. That's twice a year and to me, that's seems almost unbelievable. They have violin and recorder and choir and dance, but all for the ones in year three and above.

Cali I think at that age he should be fine. As Suep has said you will know whether he is tired or not. At the moment my daughter has 4 different after school activites and she is fine with it but saying that she is nearly 10. My son is only 5 and at the moment he only does swimming but as soon as he is old enough he will start beavers and drama
Cali, I think 3 activities is fine ... which means he'll have 2 days to rest in the afternoons. Smile
My son only has one - Beavers, but is not interested in anything else. Sad I'm keen on trying out karate or martial arts, but I hve not got into gear yet.
My daughter at least does Brownies and netball after school. Thank goodness our school started the year she was in year 3. But it does take a level of commitment from the teachers to offer the activities on a regular basis.
Smile
They must make the most of it while they are young...my son is at High School now and spends his afternoons doing homework!!!!!!

He does play Rugby and Soccer but luckily these are done during school hours....
Thanks for the replies

He has shown an interest in Karate but to be honest, I haven't found anywhere I'm comfy with. He'd like to do rugby as well but they won't accept him for another year which is fine by me. I like to watch rugby but when I think back to all the school boy injuries when I was at school, I go all goosefleshy thinking of my son having one of those injuries! lol must be a mommy thing! Big Grin
suep Wrote:They must make the most of it while they are young...my son is at High School now and spends his afternoons doing homework!!!!!!

He does play Rugby and Soccer but luckily these are done during school hours....

And why does he not play with a club hey!. They do this on a sunday and its good fun :rofl:
Cali Wrote:Thanks for the replies

He has shown an interest in Karate but to be honest, I haven't found anywhere I'm comfy with. He'd like to do rugby as well but they won't accept him for another year which is fine by me. I like to watch rugby but when I think back to all the school boy injuries when I was at school, I go all goosefleshy thinking of my son having one of those injuries! lol must be a mommy thing! Big Grin

Cali accordingly to the RFU continum on Mini and Youth Rugby chldren of the age of 6 by Sept are allowed to play tag rugby. Tag rugby at that age is a very safe game. No tackles are allowed. It is only when the are playing in the U9 age group is full contact rugby played. Even then its limited contact. You are allowed to tackel from the waist down but no rucks or malls like in big man rugby. Even at that stage it is incredibly difficult to get injured. My husband is a mini and youth rugby qualified coach and ref and has been coaching for the last 5 years. He currently coaching the U9's.

If you are interested I have got loads of other information which I could give you the links to.
Cali Wrote:Does anyone have children that do many extra mural activities? (And what are they?)

I have a twelve year old son who plays football and tennis. On Mondays he has tennis from 16.00-17.00 and football from 17.30-19.30. My daughter is fourteen and she also has TaeKwondo training on Monday from 20.00-21.30. She also has TaeKwondo on Wednesdays and horseriding on Thursdays. My son has football on Wednesdays and Fridays as well (not every week). They play matches on Saturday mornings outdoors irrespective of weather!!