Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fruit juice and teeth
Fruit juice can be harmful to teeth

The sugars found naturally in whole fruit and vegetables don't cause tooth decay. But, when the juice is extracted from the fruit, or vegetable, the natural sugar is released. Once released, these sugars can damage teeth, if fruit juice is drunk frequently, So it's best to keep fruit juice to mealtimes, for children. Milk or water are good choices for children to drink between meals.

This also applies to adults.
Ribena is especially bad for the teeth and even worse when put into a bottle for a young child.

Water is the best all round, although IMO if they have put fluoride in water, then I would rather not give that either!
I heard that drinking through a straw will minimise the contact of your teeth with fruit juice though. Pure fruit juice is usually too sweet anyway, in my opinion...
I know a straw is preferable to a bottle teat but I'm not sure if it is better than normal drinking from a glass for an older child or an adult.

What really annoys me with some fruit juices is that you think you are buying a better product than a fizzy drink. Then when you read the label some have so much added sugar or are made from so little real fruit juice that you might have been better off giving them the fizzy drink anyway.

When buying a squash for your children to drink do you buy the "no added sugar" or the normal variety. The no added sugar varieties are sweetened with aspartane which is associated with its own problems, something I don't feel we should be giving children. Water is obviosly the best solution.

Tara what will we do if they do flouridate water as dentists are pushing for?
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet

Tara what will we do if they do flouridate water as dentists are pushing for?

Sunny D springs to mind as a drink which was pushed as being very good for children. It turned out to be nearly poison for them!

Jem, the "Fluoridation" of water supplies has been mooted in the UK since the early '60's. Some towns (I think Birmingham is one of them, but am open to correction) were used as test cases. As far as I am aware, the results brought in showed little or no value in adding it to water, so I don't think it will become generally used any time soon. They've taken 40 odd years already! Big Grin Big Grin
We used to dilute the girl's fruit juice when they were little, and we found it was fine. Wheile we lived in Durbs, I would make a 1 1/2 litre jug of Rooibos every night (with only 1 bag), put a little sugar in for sweetness, and then refrigerated it. That, along with good old water is what my children drank 99% of the time. They are not fans of fruit juice, and they still love water. I also discourage them from Fizzy drinks, which they do not miss much. When we go to McDonalds, for instance, they drink milk!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Won't regular brushing stop the decay caused by drinking juice or sugary drinks? I'd far rather my son (& I) drink juice sweetened with natural sugars than Aspartame.
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
Won't regular brushing stop the decay caused by drinking juice or sugary drinks? I'd far rather my son (& I) drink juice sweetened with natural sugars than Aspartame.

Agreed
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
i drink water or beer. works for meBig Grin

but i read they put loads of flouride in the water in oz and it had really bad effects on ppls teeth
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Sunny D springs to mind as a drink which was pushed as being very good for children. It turned out to be nearly poison for them!

Wow is that so??? Surely if it is that bad it should be taken off the market.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brushing teeth dudette 6 4,566 24-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Curio
  Teeth Grinding Zulu_Foxtrot 2 4,048 16-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Ameniatha