Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Point Stadium wrong choice ???
Your views?

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...716C903660
Hagar the Lovable (and to some the Horrible) Wink
"based in an elite white area and too far from the football masses".
"This does not seem to be the case in Cape Town. The logistics are completely wrong here.

"If Fifa were really in tune with what's needed in (Cape Town) and if they really wanted to boost the overall development of the game, they should have sanctioned a World Cup match venue in the townships.

:wall:
What a load of rubbish!

It'll probably become the darling of the media ITO vistas etc and the close proximity to the sea, waterfront etc and advertise Cape Town in a greater capacity
There is a lot of sense in what he says, but how do you change a culture where most of the black support is for the giants Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates? Maybe this is a step in the right direction.

At present, a lot of the games are being hosted at Newlands and some of the big companies i.e. Old Mutual and I think Sasol are buying up huge tranches of tickets and giving them away free, in a attempt to create a culture of football followers in Cape Town.

(Mind you, calling Parow an elite area is stretching the point Wink )
I would have thought it was an ideal venue, particularly if the World Cup is aimed at foreign visitors

and besides maybe Hellenic will be reborn Wink

and little does the Dutchman know that that Sea Point is now known as Lagos SP ...

Big Grin
Cheffie Wrote:"based in an elite white area and too far from the football masses".
"This does not seem to be the case in Cape Town. The logistics are completely wrong here.

"If Fifa were really in tune with what's needed in (Cape Town) and if they really wanted to boost the overall development of the game, they should have sanctioned a World Cup match venue in the townships.

:wall:
What a load of rubbish!

It'll probably become the darling of the media ITO vistas etc and the close proximity to the sea, waterfront etc and advertise Cape Town in a greater capacity
Cheffie, but what happens after the world cup is over? You end up with a white elephant that is used by no-one?
TheDuck Wrote:Hellenic will be reborn Wink

and I see flying pigs too!!
Nigeria could play their home matches at the Stadium

it will certainly be well appreciated
mcamp999 Wrote:Cheffie, but what happens after the world cup is over? You end up with a white elephant that is used by no-one?

It will presumably serve the same purpose as Wembley does over here.
Ade Wrote:It will presumably serve the same purpose as Wembley does over here.
No, SA play their games in JHB and there are already developed stadiums for those games. There are also already plenty of venues in and arounc CT that get used for music festivals and the like.
TheDuck Wrote:Nigeria could play their home matches at the Stadium

it will certainly be well appreciated

:haha:

Mcamp... Green Point Stadium has been used for many outside events, from the school athletics to live concerts.

Perhaps it'll be used a little more then in the coming years Wink