Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ireland
Bushbaby Wrote:Hi Paddy,

I am still in the area but have moved to Clonsilla. How are things with you?

I agree, most Saffers here tend to keep to themselves, which is a pity - the few I know do not even mix with the locals. Must get quite lonely at times.

The last 6 months have basically been spent hibernating, spring is almost here. In the last few days the bite has been taken out of the cold although I still don't feel as brave as the dafodils. Must make it out into the Wicklow Mountains in the next couple weeks, the colours will be terrific, especially the yellow in the hedge growth. Went to see the film Tsotsi about 3 weeks ago in town, excellent film by the way, but most of the Saffas coming out of the audience didn't even acknowledge my remark, just put the head down and disappeared into the distance in pairs.
Bushbaby Wrote:If anyone is interested, I do have a half decent house now so when/if the weather ever improves would be nice to have a braai or some such thing...

Definately count me in.....
On another note, f you're interested (I may go for curiosities sake) on the 25th of April, Guy Lundy will be making a presentation at the Royal College of Surgeons, concerning SA's skills shortage:

Guy Lundy : Consultant and Author
Martine Schaffer : Managing Director, Homecoming Revolution
Date: 25th April 2006
Time: 6:00pm for 6:30pm (presentations will begin at 6:30pm)
Venue: Royal College of Surgeons 123 St Stephens Green Dublin 2
RSVP: It is essential to RSVP to Elizabeth Mulville at media@saedublin.ie.
Paddy Wrote:Definately count me in.....
On another note, f you're interested (I may go for curiosities sake) on the 25th of April, Guy Lundy will be making a presentation at the Royal College of Surgeons, concerning SA's skills shortage:

Guy Lundy : Consultant and Author
Martine Schaffer : Managing Director, Homecoming Revolution
Date: 25th April 2006
Time: 6:00pm for 6:30pm (presentations will begin at 6:30pm)
Venue: Royal College of Surgeons 123 St Stephens Green Dublin 2
RSVP: It is essential to RSVP to Elizabeth Mulville at media@saedublin.ie.

Thanks for this! Could be very interesting.
Did you perhaps go along to the HCR function last night? I arrived a bit late after work but I think I caught most of it. I'll put my thoughts together in another thread. I was surprised at the number of saffas in attendance, between 200 and 300. Out of curiosity are there areas within Dublin that saffas choose to live, similar to the biltong belt (along the District Line) in London.
Paddy Wrote:Did you perhaps go along to the HCR function last night? I arrived a bit late after work but I think I caught most of it. I'll put my thoughts together in another thread. I was surprised at the number of saffas in attendance, between 200 and 300. Out of curiosity are there areas within Dublin that saffas choose to live, similar to the biltong belt (along the District Line) in London.

Hi Paddy, I clean forgot about it to be honest, so was at home working on the garden last night...

There are approximately 8000 South Africans in Ireland (at least those on SA passports that are counted). The largest concentrations that I am aware of are in Co. Kildare (Kilcock and surrounds); Dun Laoghaire through to Killiney (mostly Afrikaners) and in Mullingar.

Within Dublin I don't know if there are specific areas that they prefer to live in, but knowing the distribution patterns in London, I would guess places like Lucan would be popular due to the cheaper rentals.
Hi Bush Baby

I have run out of ways to try and get to Ireland. Maybe you can advice me some. I have a heavy duty drivers licence, 33, male in SA and are looking to relocate to Ireland Urgently with my wife and 3 year old son. have a code 14 does qualify for a permit but i have distributed my cv over the internet to a million companies with no response. I have booked a holiday to Ireland mid Feb to see if I can go over to some companies and try to find a job. I am willing to pay the permit fees myslef. dont you have any contacts there that you can refer me. PLEASE!!!

ps THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ON IRELAND. IT WAS MOST INTERESTING

Peet
jacky.dublin Wrote:Hi Bush Baby

I have run out of ways to try and get to Ireland. Maybe you can advice me some. I have a heavy duty drivers licence, 33, male in SA and are looking to relocate to Ireland Urgently with my wife and 3 year old son. have a code 14 does qualify for a permit but i have distributed my cv over the internet to a million companies with no response. I have booked a holiday to Ireland mid Feb to see if I can go over to some companies and try to find a job. I am willing to pay the permit fees myslef. dont you have any contacts there that you can refer me. PLEASE!!!

ps THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ON IRELAND. IT WAS MOST INTERESTING

Peet

Hi Jacky,

I will send you a pm - we should liaise via email and I will see what I can do for you.