Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of year again...
... Where we have to choose next years calenders.

I had a choice of 6 but have left out the brain puzzlers one as we're only up to April in our current one and I still have access to the 2002 one online.

Here is a brief description of each one:

[BUZZ="1"]Scrabble[/BUZZ]

All the pleasure of Scrabble, and no opponent required. Play that “Y,” “ Q,” and “K.” The Five-Letter Shuffle. Lose a Letter. Thinking in Pairs, using the “V” (Victory!), and High-Point Tiles. From National Scrabble Association executive director John D. Williams and Joe Edley, the only three-time winner of the National Scrabble Championship, The Official Scrabble Calendar is a year of stimulating play for Scrabble lovers. Each of these fun puzzles and brainteasers is specially designed to hone players’ skills and lift their game. What letter can replace the “T” in “stale” to make a new word meaning “low, marshy ground”?*

* SWALE

[BUZZ="1"]Mad Libs[/BUZZ]

Four score and seven years ago our eggplants brought forth on this coffee mug a tie-dyed nation . . . and that’s just the beginning! Introducing the Mad Libs Calendar. The world’s nuttiest word game, Mad Libs has sold a staggering 108 million books. Now, packed with Mad Libs zaniness on every page, comes a year of entertainment for kids and adults alike. Each day, the reader chooses a list of words—verb, noun, adjective, or other part of speech. The next day, the chosen words are inserted into an anecdote, proverb, phrase, or story. The results are totally unpredictable and never fail to yield giggles. Family alert: This may be the first calendar that deserves a spot on the breakfast table.

[BUZZ="1"]365 Amazing Trivia Facts[/BUZZ]

Staggering science: How many pounds of prehistoric plant life yield one gallon of gasoline? 196,000—that’s 98 tons. Surprising sports: Why do Japanese golfers buy hole-in-one insurance? Because tradition requires them to share their luck by presenting gifts to all their friends—which can cost $10,000 or more. Entertaining entertainment: What pop singer’s birth name is Yorgos Kyriatou Panayioutou? George Michael’s. For trivia hounds, factoid fanatics, and that relative who delights in knowing it all, it’s a year of feeding the brain with tricky questions and unexpected answers.

[BUZZ="1"]Fact or Crap[/BUZZ]

Fact or crap: Men are six times more likely to be struck by lightning than women are. That’s a fact. (Why? All that golf.) Fact or crap: On hot days, Babe Ruth wore a spinach leaf under his hat during games. Crap! It was a cabbage leaf. Fact or crap: The moon’s irregular movement in December 1811 caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow backward. You might have heard something like that, but it’s crap—although an earthquake did cause parts of the river to back up. Based on the lively hit game Fact or Crap from University Games, the Fact or Crap Calendar features a year of compelling statements that may be true or may be crap—go ahead, make your call!

[BUZZ="1"]365 New Words a Year[/BUZZ]

The bestselling word calendar, now in its 26th year. Vocabulary. Pronunciation. Etymology. For word lovers, writers, crossword-puzzle fans, obsessive readers, 365 New Words-A-Year is the essential calendar. Packed with newly minted words (Frankenfood: genetically engineered food), romantic words (billet-doux: a love letter), comical words (bumbershoot: umbrella), and words that mean exactly what they sound like they mean (smashmouth: characterized by brute force without finesse), no wonder this is the best and bestselling word calendar on the market. Each entry includes a definition, pronunciation guide, sample sentence, and notes on word origin and history.
No votes yet ? :bigcry:
I'm only allowed to pick one and I want to pick more. The one I'd leave out is the scrabble - does that help?
sooibrand Wrote:I'm only allowed to pick one and I want to pick more. The one I'd leave out is the scrabble - does that help?

Sadly multiple votes aren't allowed as I would've liked for everyone to vote twice as there will of course be two new threads. The one will be copied from the paper calender and the other will be the free online version I get with the paper one. Smile
I voted for Mad libs but it didn't show :bigcry:
Scrabble :thumbs:
I've just had a crazy idea...

Perhaps I should post two polls...

One poll for thread number 1 and when that closes, remove it from the list and then post another poll for thread number 2 as that way everyone gets to vote twice.

Is that a good idea or is it better if I take the top two from this poll and order those ?

[BUZZ="1"]Opinions please[/BUZZ]
No opinions ? Confusedad:
[BUZZ="2"]My humble opinion is...[/BUZZ]

Take the top 2 Smile
dudette Wrote:[BUZZ="2"]My humble opinion is...[/BUZZ]

Take the top 2 Smile

Is Dudette the only one with an opinion ?

Perhaps I should drop them both ????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's that time of year to choose our new calender Jangar 0 4,866 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  100 things you didn't know last year dudette 0 2,894 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: