Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Leggy' Seedlings
Ok, so I have planted up all my seedlings as close to or on the windowsill as directed. Ninety nine percent have come up fine and are growing well, but I am experiencing a problem with my tomato seedlings in that they are very very leggy.

Now, I know that I can plant the stems deeper into the soil when I transplant them, but don't really want to be doing that so early on, as I expect this will continue to be a problem whilst they remain indoors.

Any suggestions anyone?
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Ok, so I have planted up all my seedlings as close to or on the windowsill as directed. Ninety nine percent have come up fine and are growing well, but I am experiencing a problem with my tomato seedlings in that they are very very leggy.

Now, I know that I can plant the stems deeper into the soil when I transplant them, but don't really want to be doing that so early on, as I expect this will continue to be a problem whilst they remain indoors.

Any suggestions anyone?

I know this may sound very silly Bushbaby, but how much sunlight or any light do your seedlings get?
Seedlings usually go "leggy" if there is a deficiency of light, preferably natural light.
Have you been turning them every day Bushbaby?
Often if the are all left to grow towards the liht as they do when on a window sill, the will go leggy, this can be avoided if you keep rotating the seedtray so that they all get even light........
The Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay -
Love isn't love till it's given away......
Quote:Originally posted by doudoucats
Have you been turning them every day Bushbaby?
Often if the are all left to grow towards the liht as they do when on a window sill, the will go leggy, this can be avoided if you keep rotating the seedtray so that they all get even light........
I agree , that is why I mentioned "natural" light.
Hi Joan, Doudoucats,

The windowsill they are on is the sunniest in the house and is south facing. They get a great deal of sunshine and as mentioned, the herbs that share that windowsill have grown fine. I turn the pots daily and the legginess is a problem only with the tomato plants. The chillies and eggplants have just come up and they seem to be quite ok too.

One other problem I am having is with my Salsola seedlings - they sprout, but the seedleaves die off and blacken.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Hi Joan, Doudoucats,

The windowsill they are on is the sunniest in the house and is south facing. They get a great deal of sunshine and as mentioned, the herbs that share that windowsill have grown fine. I turn the pots daily and the legginess is a problem only with the tomato plants. The chillies and eggplants have just come up and they seem to be quite ok too.

One other problem I am having is with my Salsola seedlings - they sprout, but the seedleaves die off and blacken.
Oh dear, then I do not know!
I have never had luck with carrots, so perhaps you and tomatoes do not belong together!!! Wink
Are the seedlings, whos leaves die off and blacken in a propagator with lid on?
Often if the leaves have lots of condensation on them, and are then exposed to direct sunlight, they will 'frazzle' so to speak!
Are the seedlings, whos leaves die off and blacken in a propagator with lid on?
Often if the leaves have lots of condensation on them, and are then exposed to direct sunlight, they will 'frazzle' so to speak!

Hi Doudoucats,

The salsola was open sown into a seed tray on the kitchen table. The die off happened there but there was no direct light. I moved them and more seedlings have come up and some seem to have made it. It is a plant I have never grown before and there is very little written on it as well (in English at least) so it is all trial and error.

I transplanted the tomatoes and buried them deeper into the potting soil - they seem to have accepted this so hold thumbs that they don't go all leggy again.
Well I'll hold thumbs for them then.......Good luck with them all, I'm afraid i have been slow instarting my seedlings off this year, but have finally made a start on them and am looking forward to getting to the pricking out stage, most definitely my favourite bit about it.......Apart of course from the moment the first little seedlings poke their heads out of the soil Big Grin That always make me smile and feel a sense of achievement.........

Hope yours turn out ok!
Apart of course from the moment the first little seedlings poke their heads out of the soil Big Grin That always make me smile and feel a sense of achievement.........

Now I know exactly what you mean. :thumbs:

Last night when I reported to the baas that the marigolds, busy lizzies and lavender had all germinated she looked at me sort of odd and said "I don't know how you have the patience" - but the waiting is all part of the enjoyment I think!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Own seedlings jimswin 2 2,791 04-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby