Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macleays Spectre
These are my latest experiment at work and so far we are doing very well.

Was given a large number of mature eggs and in two weeks have had 26 hatchlings of which 25 have survived.

These critters are amazing - there is a good picture of an adult female here:

http://www.nrk.no/img/349773.gif
rather you than me

:noway:

Big Grin
TheDuck Wrote:rather you than me

:noway:

Big Grin

I have been accused of being a bit strange because of my fascination with stick and leaf insects but I figure everyone has to have a hobby and this is far more interesting than stamp collecting!
ai jai jaiiiii! Not me thank you. Glad we are not the same!

But then, it must be pretty amazing working with it!

:daisy:
Rather you than me.....I'll stick to stamps Wink.... that address was Norwegian...
What a fascinating looking bug! Big Grin All the best with your babies. Please let us know how they get on. :luck:
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
BB totally understand. I was going to buy a Tarantula but my friends told me they would not visit me! lol. So totally understand.
I had to babysit a tarantula last year - the tank was one of those types that opens in the front, not the top, and I learnt just how quickly they can move when they want to. As I am intimidated by spiders it made for a very tense month...

I will stick with these bugs - they are slow moving after the first moult and there is no danger of them running away on you.
Bushbaby Wrote:These are my latest experiment at work and so far we are doing very well.

Was given a large number of mature eggs and in two weeks have had 26 hatchlings of which 25 have survived.

These critters are amazing - there is a good picture of an adult female here:

http://www.nrk.no/img/349773.gif

How interesting! We see quite a number of these stick bugs around.
At the moment we are plagued with a strange green beetle. I have never seen them before. They're big (for a beetle) and fly fast and right at you. I take an electronic fly swatter with me everytime I go out in the yard. It looks like a small tennis raquet and gives me more surface to hit them with. These bugs freak me out. Nasty!!!
Toktokkie Wrote:How interesting! We see quite a number of these stick bugs around.
At the moment we are plagued with a strange green beetle. I have never seen them before. They're big (for a beetle) and fly fast and right at you. I take an electronic fly swatter with me everytime I go out in the yard. It looks like a small tennis raquet and gives me more surface to hit them with. These bugs freak me out. Nasty!!!

We have a large brown beetle here that has appeared over the past two years (along with the warmer weather). Not a nice experience having one fly into or around you.

This year for the first time I have also spotted new spiders in the garden - they are like small button spiders, but bright acid/lime green!

The Macleays are doing great, am up to 35-38 youngsters now, and my oldest female has just shed for the first time and is now about as thick as an earbud and just a bit longer than a matchstick. She has also changed colour from black and orange to a tan brown.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaCleays Spectre Bushbaby 0 2,208 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: