Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mexican Marigolds
I ordered and am waiting for the seed to arrive.

Mexican marigold is far more robust than its European and African counterparts - growing to approximately 8 feet. From a distance it looks like marijuana, but has a lovely scent, beautiful flowers, and no narcotic substances in its makeup.

Good to grow as a screening plant or in the back of a flower border. The roots repel/kill nematodes, and the leaves and flowers also have insecticide properties. Young leaves and flowers can also be used in summer salads.

The seed packet contains 500 seed. I only need about 30. If anyone is interested in giving this plant a go, let me know and I can post seed off to you.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I ordered and am waiting for the seed to arrive.

Mexican marigold is far more robust than its European and African counterparts - growing to approximately 8 feet. From a distance it looks like marijuana, but has a lovely scent, beautiful flowers, and no narcotic substances in its makeup.

Good to grow as a screening plant or in the back of a flower border. The roots repel/kill nematodes, and the leaves and flowers also have insecticide properties. Young leaves and flowers can also be used in summer salads.

The seed packet contains 500 seed. I only need about 30. If anyone is interested in giving this plant a go, let me know and I can post seed off to you.

I'm PM-ing you.

BTW, what a BRILLIANT idea, a seed share. I was potting last night and ended up with miles too many seeds (the packs I ended up buying had 500-odd seeds in) so binned what I didn't need.

BB, I think you may have hit upon a right little brainwave!
Most seed keeps for between 3 to 5 years. Melon and pumpkin seed lasts for up to ten years.

I have quite a lot of seed and am more than willing to share. All plants were selected to do well in the Irish climate - which roughly equals northern England and southern Scotland.

I would suggest that if you are interested in swopping seeds, post up a wishlist here and those of us that have surplus can see if we can help.

Posting up my surplus list will take forever, it is quite long.