Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Births....
Pam i know u have twins.....the others who have triplets or just twins....please share with us the highs and lows of multiple births...i find it so fascinating to have two at one or even three...it must be hard work when we think one is hard enough!!

We would love to know how u reacted when u first learnt u were expecting twins, how u managed with two at feeding times, bathe times, did u have help?

Fascinating topic......Smile
There is a strong history of twins in both mine (maternal) and my husband's (maternal and paternal) sides. We always joked that we would probably have twin boys, followed by twin girls. We were young and naive, obviously.

I found out I was pregnant when I was 19. The doctor told me that I was pregnant, but that I would probably miscarry, as he had detected a blighted ovum. I was really upset about this obviously, and was told that if I had not miscarried by 9 weeks, that I could go for a scan. I did have bleeding, but I left it...

At 9 weeks, I had my first scan. The doctor was busy looking at the screen, not explaining much when he asked us if we had a history of twins in the family. He then went on to say that we had three babies, and that one had died. We were shell-shocked, as we might have expected twins, but not triplets.
Anyway, I had an uneventful pregnancy, but started dilating when I was about 28 weeks gone. Then at work one day (I was about 32 weeks) I complained to my mother-in-law that I had been awake for 2 nights with back pain. She thought it best if I see my gynae. He confirmed that I was starting labour, and booked me into the Marymount. I was in for over a week, getting steroid injections for the girl's lungs, and in serious pain. My water's broke at 2:30 on the following Wednesday morning, and the girls were born 3 days after my 20th Birthday (which was spent on my back in hospital - lovely) at about 3:30 in the morning. Laura weighed in at 1.980kg, and Danielle arrived 8 minutes later at 1.879kg.

They were in incubators for about 5 days, but were not allowed to leave until they were both 2kg. If I remember correctly, they were came home at about 8 or 9 days old. They also suffered a bit with jaundice, and had to be under the lights a lot. I was at the hospital twice a day to take milk for them, as they were tube fed for most of the time. It was a hard time, as I wanted my babies home with me, but I at least got some rest for a week before they came home.

We had no help for the first 4 months, after which I returned to work part-time. We had a maid who looked after the girls in the morning until I got home at lunchtime. They had colic from about 2 months, which made feeding complicated, as I was breastfeeding....It was pure hell at times, but they were essentially very good babies, despite the colic.

It was difficult when I was alone, but I did not know any better - I just dealt with it. I had no choice, and it really did not phase me. I took to motherhood well, despite my age, and I am grateful for it.

My girls are a joy, (and occasionally a pain) and I love them to bits. It's sad that the 3rd baby died, but I would never have coped with 3.
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
wow what a story....sad about the third one though Pam...but you know sometimes there is a reason for things happening in a certain way...

How old are they now?
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
They will be 8 in May
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
wow...they are a bit younger than my son then, he will be nine in august.

Have you considered trying again, or is two enough for you?

I had a friend who fell pregnant after me, she was expecting triplets, but she had done fertility treatment, shame the poor girl had stretch marks from here to Timbuktu......:eek: anyway..the babies were born earlier....in November and mine was born in January...so they were 7 months when born.....two girls and one boy, the one little girl lived for about 1 week?? i think.....then she died.....:bigcry: was awful......Sad

Then she fell pregnant again.....and was expecting triplets again!! because she still had the fertility treatment traces still in her body, but she miscarried so she had herself fixed up......

Very hard for her but they are two lovely well adjusted kids today..Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
wow...they are a bit younger than my son then, he will be nine in august.

Have you considered trying again, or is two enough for you?

I would dearly love to have another child (hopefully a boy) before my girls are too much older,as the age-gap will be too much!
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
I had a friend who fell pregnant after me, she was expecting triplets, but she had done fertility treatment, shame the poor girl had stretch marks from here to Timbuktu......:eek: anyway..the babies were born earlier....in November and mine was born in January...so they were 7 months when born.....two girls and one boy, the one little girl lived for about 1 week?? i think.....then she died.....:bigcry: was awful......Sad

Then she fell pregnant again.....and was expecting triplets again!! because she still had the fertility treatment traces still in her body, but she miscarried so she had herself fixed up......

Very hard for her but they are two lovely well adjusted kids today..Smile

That's really very sad....at least I did not have to carry all three to full term and then give birth....

I am terrified of having twins again...the odds are there, especially once I get into my thirties. Although, if I do not have another baby in the next 2 years or so, I will give up trying.
--Mahatma Gandhi
well I am sure they would be thrilled to have a little brother or sister...

My son will have turned nine before the new one comes. I am due in October. I dont know if the age gap is too big, I guess its individual.

I dont think he would have responded well to a sibling at an earlier age, which is one of the reasons why we waited...

Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
well I am sure they would be thrilled to have a little brother or sister...

My son will have turned nine before the new one comes. I am due in October. I dont know if the age gap is too big, I guess its individual.

I dont think he would have responded well to a sibling at an earlier age, which is one of the reasons why we waited...

The age gap can be a blessing or a non event really - either he will be involved in everything to do with his sibling, or he will be totally disinterested. I have seen both happen before, only once have I seen an active dislike of a younger sibling, and that was because the parents had a son years after having two daughters and totally marginalised the girls once the son was born.