Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more tooth fairy!
My daughter had lost her tooth this week. And did the usual of putting her tooth under her pillow for the tooth fairy to come. Which of cause the tooth fairy came with a generous £2s.
But after returning from school that day she declared that there is no tooth fairy :eek: And her friends say it is the moms & dads that put the money in.

I feel very sad. I love the innonence and belief chidren have in fantasy & magical. I was expecting this to occur at around 10 years not at the age of seven!

For me it seems modern society today just want children to grow up before their years. Making then so aware of everything at a very tender age. Childhood only comes once in a life time! Why the hurry to get through it?
I agree Piglet it is a shame. This last year my nephew who is 10 found our about Father Christmas, after that he thought he was real clever shouting 'Father Christmas is a fraud'. :o Thank goodness he was the last to still believe. I do think that should live in a world on fantascy for as long as possible.
Very sad...I am a grown up and I still believe in fairies Big Grin

I think there is a lot of parents out there that teach their children about the reality of life way to early....(They are the type of parents that read to much books about how to be a good parent).

Our parents never read a book about ''how to be a good parent'' and we regard them as the best parents ever. Because they did what came natural..... not what some expert thought they should do! Also just look at the toys etc children have...there is not much left for the imagination to create. As when we were children we had to use imagination create things etc.

And then we were surrounded by other children most of the time and so were they, so the chances of hearing these facts from grown ups and passing it to our mates were rather slim..

I think it is very sad....at least I still believe
Big Grin
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
Ta jillibeans and Birdie

I think there is alot of merit in following what comes naturally. If you looks at children they have an inborn imagination and creativity. Their minds seemed to be geared to learn about the world around them through play & imagination. No one teaches them it comes naturally if nurtured. Unfortunily I think with todays society very little nurturing occurs as Birdie has said , 'The toys today leave little room for imagination.'

I remember how a simple cardboard box would give me hours of stimulated play through various age ranges when I was young. From something to climb in and out of. To something to build with . And of cause the ultimate was using it to slide down a slope with. Lateral thinking , abstract thought , innovation & creativity are qualities which will give the adult the edge in the real world, they are born from humble beginnings in childhood play.

I also think fantasy can give the child an opportunity to experience a variety of feelings & emotions in a safe and nurturing way . Allowing them to grow up being well adjusted and emotionally mature.
Hi dears...

I am hoping this Xmas will still be magic for my son.....i think he does suspect there is not Santa.....but i will wait until he comes to me with his questions....Sad and as he is going to high school this yr, he might just get told otherwise.....:haha: well i hope he will not be too disappointed.......:eek:
Hi cubbie
heres holding thumbs for you. Hopefully one more magical xmas with Santa and all his reindeers Wink
My daughter was 4 and a half when she lost her first tooth - at 5 she has already lost 3 of them, so as an early starter, the fairy deal is working fantastically and she is a true believer. I am sure the day that the 'fairy bubble' will burst will happen soon, but I am making sure that she is not going to be the one to tell her schoolfriends the truth.......
Quote:Originally posted by Piglet
Hi cubbie
heres holding thumbs for you. Hopefully one more magical xmas with Santa and all his reindeers Wink

ta piglet......but i do think he knows but is keeping mum...as he has already said he does not want to grow up...:haha:
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
ta piglet......but i do think he knows but is keeping mum...as he has already said he does not want to grow up...:haha:

Listen up Cubs, a clever child will never admit to the fact that he is a non believer.....after all he will be the loser at the end of the day......I was 14 and maintained that I was a believer.....my mom was still diligently putting pressies into my Christmas stocking straight after I had puffed my last cigarette out the bedroom window :eek: :haha: :haha: Shame bless her for humouring me!!!!!!

On a serious note, it is very sad that kids these days have to learn the brutal truth at such a young age. I for one hope to keep the magic alive for as long as I can. I will challenge any child and call him and his big brother a liar if they dare tell my babies there is no such things as tooth fairies, Santa ....and the easter bunny for that matter :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
Listen up Cubs, a clever child will never admit to the fact that he is a non believer.....after all he will be the loser at the end of the day......I was 14 and maintained that I was a believer.....my mom was still diligently putting pressies into my Christmas stocking straight after I had puffed my last cigarette out the bedroom window :eek: :haha: :haha: Shame bless her for humouring me!!!!!!

On a serious note, it is very sad that kids these days have to learn the brutal truth at such a young age. I for one hope to keep the magic alive for as long as I can. I will challenge any child and call him and his big brother a liar if they dare tell my babies there is no such things as tooth fairies, Santa ....and the easter bunny for that matter :mad:

Well said.

smoking at 14:eek:
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''