Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Own seedlings
Hi Folks,

we have recently moved to a new place and now have access to a small piece of ground to grow some of our own veggies.

Now in SA I have an idea of how to do it.

To keep costs low I want to sow some seeds in some small planters and keep them indoors until it is OK to plant outside.

Does anyone have any experience in the UK about doing it this way?.

What I have in mind is

Chillies, capsicums ( peppers etc) tomatoes, and maybe radish and other nice things for salads in the summer.

Any pointers etc would be appreciated.
[color0blue]Dit was lekker by die see... Die Bodensee ( Lake Constance )[/color]
Yes jimswim you can plant indoors until you are sure that it won't be frosty outside again.

Best to sow in shallow trays of John Innes No.1 and keep the trays on a sunny window sill ( well as sunny as is probable in the UK Big Grin ) until they are big enough to prick out into single pots. When they are about 4/5 inches tall, then put them outside in a sheltered but sunny spot and plant them out once all threat of frost is past.

Hope this helps.
It is worth remembering that capsicums and tomatoes germinate better if the temperature is kept a constant 21 degrees. Once they have germinated you can drop the temperature to 18 degrees until you are ready to harden them off.

Aubergines require bottom heat to germinate well, and for this I recommend putting your hot press to use. Place on a shelf directly above the boiler and keep moist. Check daily and remove to a sunny windowsill as soon as the first seedlings appear.

At the moment I have my windowsill crammed with pots of dill, mint, sweet basil, arrat basil, thyme and parsley seedlings. Tonight I have to start the first of my tomato plants (the bigger fruiting varieties benefit from a headstart).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Leggy' Seedlings Bushbaby 14 6,445 19-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby