Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prostate Cancer
It was a very great shock to learn on Friday night that the baas' Dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is to be operated on in April to remove the cancer and to check if it has spread outside the prostate.

I am fortunate in never having had any experience of this cancer, no one else I have ever known has suffered with it. This however leaves me at something of a loss. Can anyone tell me more about this cancer? In particular, survival rates. I have done some reading up this weekend at the prostate cancer charity's website, but I think if I am going to be as strong for the baas as she is going to need me to be, then the more information I have (even bad news) the more I can help her.

Also, we'd both be very grateful for your prayers for her Dad, John, at this time.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or information
Gavin
Ag, no. That's terrible news. I am so sorry to hear that he is ill...

My best thoghts and wishes are with him, and all of you as well.
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Hey Gavin,

Sorry to hear about that, its terrible, and ja she could probably do with some good support...

I found this link for you which might help:

Prostate.com
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
It was a very great shock to learn on Friday night that the baas' Dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is to be operated on in April to remove the cancer and to check if it has spread outside the prostate.

I am fortunate in never having had any experience of this cancer, no one else I have ever known has suffered with it. This however leaves me at something of a loss. Can anyone tell me more about this cancer? In particular, survival rates. I have done some reading up this weekend at the prostate cancer charity's website, but I think if I am going to be as strong for the baas as she is going to need me to be, then the more information I have (even bad news) the more I can help her.

Also, we'd both be very grateful for your prayers for her Dad, John, at this time.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or information
Gavin

Gavin....

Thinking of u and Liz, and thinking of her Dad...

Yes..i can tell u my Grandfather died from prostrate cancer but that is not what you want to hear right now, so here is some sites to help u...

http://www.ask.co.uk/res.asp?q=Prostate+...&sp=r&io=1

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=372

Hope this helps.....

love cub
xxxxxxx
I am open to correction, but I believe that Nelson Mandela was diagnosed with cancer of the prostate just before or just after he was freed, either way it was about 10 years ago. He had it removed and look, he is still going strong! Smile

The prognosis is good, provided it hasn't spread.

The NHS site is very informative Pombok, as are the Axa-PPP and Bupa sites.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I am open to correction, but I believe that Nelson Madela was diagnosed with cancer of the prostate just before or just after he was freed, either way it was about 10 years ago. He had it removed and look, he is still going strong! Smile

The prognosis is good, provided it hasn't spread.

The NHS site is very informative Pombok, as are the Axa-PPP and Bupa sites.

yes Tara, he did have the operation.......and yes he is still going strong.....like i said it can be beaten...Smile
Thanks all for all the replies and links, :thumbs: I have been reading furiously all morning!

What is scary (as a man) is that the chances of getting prostate cancer is 1 in 14 for men over 45, which isn't too far away for me. Also, 5-year survival of prostate cancer is only 48% I have discovered.

All this is so huge it's difficult to take it in. If I feel like this, how is my poor Dad (in law) feeling...

Anyway, drawing a similarity between my F-I-L and Nelson Mandela will make him laugh like a drain! I am emailing him immediately!!!
Pombok this is terrible, will definitely have John and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes ok.
PomBok, prostate cancer is beatable. If it's in the early stages, the success rate is very good. The thing to remember about cancer stats, is that those who are much older and who have a higher incident of it spreading, drive up these stats because there are many of them.

It's an individual thing and will depend on how agressive the cancer is, how long he's had it and whether it has spread.

Our thoughts and prayers are with John.
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Thanks all for all the replies and links, :thumbs: I have been reading furiously all morning!

What is scary (as a man) is that the chances of getting prostate cancer is 1 in 14 for men over 45, which isn't too far away for me. Also, 5-year survival of prostate cancer is only 48% I have discovered.

All this is so huge it's difficult to take it in. If I feel like this, how is my poor Dad (in law) feeling...

Anyway, drawing a similarity between my F-I-L and Nelson Mandela will make him laugh like a drain! I am emailing him immediately!!!

:thumbs:

And of course, laughter is the best medicine ekse! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skin Cancer Tara 5 3,940 29-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Last Post: whirlpool
  Housework cuts breast cancer risk Pronkertjie 0 3,849 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: