Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio 2
Quote:Originally posted by birdie
Maybe that is because people don't know about the small bands...

And whose fault is that?
Anyway, we have strayed from the topic. I think overall that the Radio 2 thing is farcical.
I don't think this programme was meant to be about SA music in general. Last week it was music during 'the struggle' - how the censors forgot or didn't see that many messages could be foretold through music. How instrumental music was in the 'great struggle and eventual freedom' of SA. <---using the catch phrase of the moment.

The thing with SA bands (talking white ones here) from the 80's etc (the music I was exposed to) was that a lot of them were pure and simple rubbish. Obviously there were the occaisional exception to the norm. But lets face it, if I had a choice between Madonna's new lp (as it was then) or Little Sister (them of that Dear Abbie song <---which wasn't tooo bad) I would have gone for the Madonna every time.

Yet the township music was great..... my dad used to bring a lot of it home and it was all rather fantastic. Instead of trying to be all Western (which was what the mainstream SA white music was trying to do) it had it's very own style etc (something the 'new' SA musicians are doing now I feel).

I enjoyed this programme (far more enjoyed the week before) as it let me listen to songs which for the most part I had NEVER heard of before.
In love there are two things - bodies and words.
Quote:Originally posted by StevenP
Anyway, we have strayed from the topic. I think overall that the Radio 2 thing is farcical.

Yes we have strayed from the original subject (though not hi-jacked it) and it has become an interesting discussion, so please don't stop....

Strangely enough as of late (last few years) I find I buy more Afrikaans music as opposed to (SA) English though I have to admit that my choices lean more towards the soft / MOR afrikaans music that your parents like...

Hopefully I'll soon have enough funds to place another big order and this time I hope to diversify a bit from my normal choices....
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Yes we have strayed from the original subject (though not hi-jacked it) and it has become an interesting discussion, so please don't stop....

It is always interesting when a discussion devlelops Smile

I maintain that the SA public are more responsible for the poor music scene in SA.
Quote:Originally posted by StevenP
It is always interesting when a discussion devlelops Smile

I maintain that the SA public are more responsible for the poor music scene in SA.

What do you mean by poor ?

Quality or sales ??? I hope you mean sales because if you say quality I see a major discussion coming up, though not from me simply because I am still stuck in an 80's time warp :p
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
What do you mean by poor ?

Quality or sales ??? I hope you mean sales because if you say quality I see a major discussion coming up, though not from me simply because I am still stuck in an 80's time warp :p

Definitely sales because I think the quality is among the finest in the world.
SA music rocks! At the moment more and more people in SA are discovering just how good it is. However it is sad that people over here tend to buy the "play once a year to impress the locals" type albums by people like Brenda Fasi or Ladysmith Black Mambazo. It is about time that people over here started supporting SA acts and then maybe the local Saffer shops would start stocking SA music that you can actually listen to more than just once a year.

StevenP I agree Piet Botha is hugely talented. And to ahve written a song like "Goienag Generaal" whilst his dad was minister of defence shows that he has cast iron balls too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South African online radio stations Jangar 26 20,649 20-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Ade
  LM Radio spam 0 3,345 04-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Last Post: spam
  radio station(s) Curio 18 8,756 30-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Jangar