Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running - The Mental Torture
I have just read through the Duck/mcamp Challenge thread, and noted with horror that the Duck managed to get in a 2 hour run recently.

My question is, how is it possible (if you can achieve this milestone physically) to endure mentally for this length of time.

Personally, I can do up to an hour on my feet, however it is sheer mental agony getting this far. The monotony is killing. What can one do to keep the mind occupied for this long? ... Look at trees ...? ... Avoid getting hit by cars ...? ... Watch telly (treadmill running) ...? ... Mp3 player ...?

I find after a while that I have to play the numbers game to keep my mind occupied - i.e. how many steps can I run in a minute? How many minutes can I sprint for? etc ...

Very seldom do I reach a point where I can zone-out and just put one foot in front of the other for an indefinite period of time.

Help!
Natalie, I have a hiking holiday coming up in Yellowstone and having led a near sedentary life for a number of years, decided I needed to get fit for this purpose. I started running, on grass, for about 50 minutes. (run 10, quick walk 5) with my hiking boots and loaded rucksack. I have now run 6 times over the last 10 days and my shins are painful. I too, find the running utterly boring and end up counting my steps between milestones. I am close to the point of deciding to rather get the exercise swimming or in a gym. I have never been a distance runner before although my sprint times were not. bad. There must be nicer ways of building fitness and loosing fatÂ…Â…..
Hi John

in all seriousness you would be better prepared if you were simply to walk and not in boots with the rucksuck. What you have done has led to the shins having pain. In truth plain silly as you have taken a car out the garage where it has been sitting and then loaded with excess weight put nobbly tyres on it and have then tried to drive it fast and then slow without any preparation.

The body is a wonderous thing which if treated correctly can serve you better than any machine out there

take a look at this program to start somewhere

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/thebeginning.htm

to start with less is better .. read thru what it says in the Beginners section and it will more than prepare you for the hike
nataliiie Wrote:My question is, how is it possible (if you can achieve this milestone physically) to endure mentally for this length of time.

Hi nataliie what I have been experiencing of late has been pretty extraordinary, I believe the weight loss has added to making the running easy, throw in the fact that we have moved recently and you have all the ingredients for a positive environment ..

If you note, I have not run such a distance in 23 years and what is happening now is different.

The mental aspect is phenomenal .. I break down the 2hr run into 15min segments but now that I have done the 2hr run everything is simply easier

Please look at Time-to-Run for tips and advice that can make your running experience better
I think it is great what you have been able to achieve Duck.
Since our eldest son has become such a fitness fanatic, I feel very guilty about not being more physicaly active, but frankly, I am so tired at night that I do not even feel like going for a walk after supper....

Where are the days that I used to walk to work and back?

Only about three years ago!

Son will be partaking in a tri-athlon this coming Sunday in Stoke-on-Trent, we will be there to encourage him, that is to say, if we see him at all!
Joan Wrote:I think it is great what you have been able to achieve Duck.
Since our eldest son has become such a fitness fanatic, I feel very guilty about not being more physicaly active, but frankly, I am so tired at night that I do not even feel like going for a walk after supper....

Where are the days that I used to walk to work and back?

Only about three years ago!

Son will be partaking in a tri-athlon this coming Sunday in Stoke-on-Trent, we will be there to encourage him, that is to say, if we see him at all!

Hi Joan

Just wanted to comment on you saying you are too tired. I often have a long chat with myself on my drive home motivating myself to go to the gym and the funny thing is when you get there and do the exercise you are so invigorated afterwards and this is what spurs you on each time. Once you get into the routine of it you will be amazed at how your energy levels increase.
TracyW Wrote:Hi Joan

Just wanted to comment on you saying you are too tired. I often have a long chat with myself on my drive home motivating myself to go to the gym and the funny thing is when you get there and do the exercise you are so invigorated afterwards and this is what spurs you on each time. Once you get into the routine of it you will be amazed at how your energy levels increase.
Thanks for thte advice TracyW...

I must really try to become physically active again, standing for nine or ten hours a day does not really help .....and then another four on Saturdays...

I love walking, we used to walk for miles, but lately I am just too tired.

My husband is very fit and he loves the gym, I on the other hand never liked it.... I found it boring, but perhaps I should give it another go again...

Have a great day all of you.
TheDuck Wrote:Hi John

in all seriousness you would be better prepared if you were simply to walk and not in boots with the rucksuck. What you have done has led to the shins having pain. In truth plain silly as you have taken a car out the garage where it has been sitting and then loaded with excess weight put nobbly tyres on it and have then tried to drive it fast and then slow without any preparation.

The body is a wonderous thing which if treated correctly can serve you better than any machine out there

take a look at this program to start somewhere

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/thebeginning.htm

to start with less is better .. read thru what it says in the Beginners section and it will more than prepare you for the hike

Hi Duck,

I have realised that I have been stupid, my fond memories of my good fitness levels 10 years ago led me to believe I could just get up and go. Thanks for your advice. (Very nicely putSmile)
John01 Wrote:Hi Duck,

I have realised that I have been stupid, my fond memories of my good fitness levels 10 years ago led me to believe I could just get up and go. Thanks for your advice. (Very nicely putSmile)

not to worry .. when you get to certain campers ages is the time you need to worry

know what I mean ... nudge nudge ... say no more .. say no more

Big Grin
TheDuck Wrote:The mental aspect is phenomenal .. I break down the 2hr run into 15min segments but now that I have done the 2hr run everything is simply easier

Aaaarrgghh ... yes, my 'numbers game' is ten minute segments. If I can reach my first ten minute goal post, then I can push myself to the next ten minute goal post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running as an exercise TheDuck 4 5,206 27-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Cheffie
  Help Running Clinic John01 0 3,834 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: