Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen Resolution
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Jan FDISK wont help - it has nothing to do with the partitioning of the drive. This is simply a problem with getting the correct drivers for the graphics card. Ditto BIOS settings. Beanie needs to determine what type of card or chipset is being used and then take it from there. The OS isnt reporting the corect chipset so she will need to either physically read it off the chips on the bhoard or find some other way of doing it. However the BIOS may ahve a setting to enable / disable the on board graphics and this may need to be set to enable to allow Windows to detect the card.

Beanie here is a link for you to look at.
Advent PC's

Another thought, when you boot the PC Beanie deos it not tell you what card it is using on the very first screen that comes up?

Beanie if worst comes to worst look on eBay and find a second hand PCI graphics card with driver disk. Slap that into the PC and load the drivers - you may need to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS. Pity you live in the gamadoolas!

Pics - as I said I am grasping at straws..... A FDISKshould destroy Wink any previous info... Not to worry, I am not going to suggest a low level format as the next step.... ( I wonder if you can still do them...)

It is strange that window$ sees the card but doesn't load the drivers for it....
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Pics - as I said I am grasping at straws..... A FDISKshould destroy Wink any previous info... Not to worry, I am not going to suggest a low level format as the next step.... ( I wonder if you can still do them...)

It is strange that window$ sees the card but doesn't load the drivers for it....

No Jan Windows isnt seeing the graphics card as it has installed the drivers for the generic PCI VGA adapter. It is seeing a graphics card but it doesnt know what make. This is the norm when Windows doesnt know what card is installed. It is now merely a matter of finding the correct drivers for the card. And seeing as Windows is working correctly - it is more likely to be the adapters age or incompatability causing this - FDISKing and reinstalling isnt going to solve anything.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
No Jan Windows isnt seeing the graphics card as it has installed the drivers for the generic PCI VGA adapter. It is seeing a graphics card but it doesnt know what make. This is the norm when Windows doesnt know what card is installed. It is now merely a matter of finding the correct drivers for the card. And seeing as Windows is working correctly - it is more likely to be the adapters age or incompatability causing this - FDISKing and reinstalling isnt going to solve anything.

What you say is true...

But it worked before !!!

I still say when all else fails... start from scratch, esp. when Window$ is involved...
Well that is the thing... I have started from scratch a few times..

I have reformatted and reinstalled at least 3 times, and nothing worked.

Now.. can you tell me, if I had to install say win2000, would the pc pick up the drivers then??
Beans
What you say is true...

But it worked before !!!

I still say when all else fails... start from scratch, esp. when Window$ is involved...

Jan it worked before because the drivers were loaded - probably when the PC was bought from PC World.
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Well that is the thing... I have started from scratch a few times..

I have reformatted and reinstalled at least 3 times, and nothing worked.

Now.. can you tell me, if I had to install say win2000, would the pc pick up the drivers then??

Beanie it might and it might not. Actually getting the screen res to work is a doddle if you can just find out what card the PC has. Win2K may be better equipped in terms of drivers so by installing it you may get it sorted out. However if it deosnt have the drivers what then?

Now the web site that I gave you listed what graphics cards the advent PC's had in them. From that info - or by using SiSoft Sandra - you can look around on the net for the correct drivers. When you get them you can simply install them and your screen res should be all peachy again.

Now tell me what processor does that PC have? Is it a PIII or a P4? And what speed does it run at? Any idea of what memory and hard drive? This is simply so that I can go look at the Advent PC specs to see what graphics card it might have.
pic...

I have asked tjommie to bring me the booklet she got with the pc...but from memory I can only recall that it was a PIII 19.something gig hard drive, but I have no idea as to what the processing speed is/was....

As soon as I have book in hand, I will let you guys know, so you can help me to look at whatever I am supposed to see Cool
Beans
Pica - is one of the few people I trust with my PC life and his word is normally as good as law !!!

However this time, please humour me and do a FDISK... and then reinstall....

I've got nothing to argue for me, just a nagging feeling........
Pica - is one of the few people I trust with my PC life and his word is normally as good as law !!!

However this time, please humour me and do a FDISK... and then reinstall....

I've got nothing to argue for me, just a nagging feeling........

Janneman... what the oomf is a fdisk and how do I do it...

Step by step instructions for a blond dummy please Wink
Beans
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Janneman... what the oomf is a fdisk and how do I do it...

Step by step instructions for a blond dummy please Wink

Create a start disk and make sure the normally hidden files are om there too.. Make sure that FORMAT.COM and FDISK.com are on the diskette to...