Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season Pansies??
I hear of 'winter pansies' and I had some and they did well ... recently I planted more ... (bought as seedlings) .. so I assumed it is still the season for them ... but they are not doing so great ... do they not like heat or what? Do u get different types of pansies that flower some in winter and some in summer? Or are pansies just better in winter? Smile
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
I hear of 'winter pansies' and I had some and they did well ... recently I planted more ... (bought as seedlings) .. so I assumed it is still the season for them ... but they are not doing so great ... do they not like heat or what? Do u get different types of pansies that flower some in winter and some in summer? Or are pansies just better in winter? Smile

sunny
I buy summer and winter pansies, just make sure you buy those with the bigger flowers.

Mine are doing fine, in fact , quite a few from last summer are still growing, but not doing so well.
I never plant them in winter, as we are not here for 5 weeks during the winter time.

Wink
Thanx Joan ...... maybe I didn't buy healthy seedlings or maybe I didn't plant them properly ... who knows .... but I love panisies ... so I'll try again :thumbs:
Quote:Originally posted by sunny

Sunny, my flowers are struggling this yr due to the heat, am watering every day and giving plant food but the poor buggars are not well....Sad
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
Sunny, my flowers are struggling this yr due to the heat, am watering every day and giving plant food but the poor buggars are not well....Sad

Don't tell me this Cubbie! I've worked hard the last few days with the hope that it will look great in a months time!!

:daisy:
Quote:Originally posted by Pronkertjie
Don't tell me this Cubbie! I've worked hard the last few days with the hope that it will look great in a months time!!

well so have i worked hard, but in this heat they are struggling....Sad i pulled a few out on Sat night, as they were dying, i hope they will survive....:RIP:
well so have i worked hard, but in this heat they are struggling....Sad i pulled a few out on Sat night, as they were dying, i hope they will survive....:RIP:

Sometimes they die of too much food too Smile
I have found plenty of cutworms in my garden, so do have a lookout for them, it does not take long for them to destroy many of your plants. Rita, you know our garden, well, just next to the patio towards the shed, is a flower bed that is totally infested with worms, all the pansies that I planted there died. I find more success with flowers in containers, find that begonias are almost the easiest (and thankful!!!) bedding plants!

And do keep a look out for these awful slugs...........

Daar is baie rate, weet nie watter help regtig nie!

:mad:
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I have found plenty of cutworms in my garden, so do have a lookout for them, it does not take long for them to destroy many of your plants. Rita, you know our garden, well, just next to the patio towards the shed, is a flower bed that is totally infested with worms, all the pansies that I planted there died. I find more success with flowers in containers, find that begonias are almost the easiest (and thankful!!!) bedding plants!

And do keep a look out for these awful slugs...........

Daar is baie rate, weet nie watter help regtig nie!

:mad:

I know the slugs like petunias.... have planted a few trailing ones and will have to get some slug poison. Sad

Sorry about your worms...

Your begonias were great last year.... hope it will be the same this year. I need to give it a try too.

I planted at least 5 trays of pansy seedlings & most are also battling with this heat & lack of rain. This is my 4th summer in UK & the first time that I've ever had to water my garden. Sad
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<