Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something in my garden...
There is some creature in my garden that makes big holes...taking half of my flowers with him. I think it might be a fox. He even did his blerrie business next to my tulips!!!

i keep on filling the holes up again and replanting the flowers that are still replantable but by the next morning the little bogger did it again!!!

Any advice on how to get rid of it.....or what it might be.
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
Put out a bit of food, or leave some squeaky toys out for it. A friend of mine has foxes in her back garden and the bit of food and the toys keeps them from tearing up her backyard.

Older foxes in particular are prone to dig around for earthworms and slugs to eat, giving them an easy source of food will stop them from doing this.

Support your local wildlife and leave a few tablescraps or some dry food out for them.
wouldn't that attract more?

Bird of prey

Foxes are territorial. If they identify a good source of food they wil stick around - that much is true. They will however keep down the other pests though. Really, the urban fox does not do much harm provided its needs are met. Most people are completely oblivious to their presence in their neighbourhoods.

A good way to detect a fox is by smell - they have a particularly strong animal odour in places they frequently rest up in - dense scrub, woodpiles, etc.
So if I leave him some scrap food in the corner at the back will he leave my flowers alone???

Bird of prey

Quote:Originally posted by birdie
So if I leave him some scrap food in the corner at the back will he leave my flowers alone???

He should leave your flowers alone yes. I would leave the food near where he/she has most recently dug in your garden - the better for it to find it, then move it somewhere out of the way, and preferably under a bush if you can (keeps the aerial predators away...

Really, a dog toy or chew bone or something will help...
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
He should leave your flowers alone yes. I would leave the food near where he/she has most recently dug in your garden - the better for it to find it, then move it somewhere out of the way, and preferably under a bush if you can (keeps the aerial predators away...

Really, a dog toy or chew bone or something will help...

Thank you I will give it a go.

Bird of prey

Very interesting....so did you try it out birdie???Was it a fox???
or an overgrown hedgehog! (but they are in hibernation arent they?) lol

or it could be the neighbours who are JEALOUS of your flowers and want them for themselves. lol

I think Gardens should be as eco friendly as possible and all wildlife should be respected and well treated.
"Riches of the heart cannot be stolen"
Have you had any results yet?

We have holes in out garden and they're from rabbits.. a real nuisance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Report - The Garden Bushbaby 7 4,746 23-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Useful Site - Garden Watchdog PomBok 5 3,878 18-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby