Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress Report - The Garden
Finally cut the grass - the dog was getting lost back there and there were very 'wild Africa' like pathways through the long grass (from the regular route used by the dog).

Anyhow, that is done, the apple trees were pruned back in January and both have produced a bumper crop of flowers so am hopeful for a good yield of fruit this year.

Yesterday I planted out the bulk of my herbs. Due to wind related accidents I have lost about a third of what I originally planted (greenhouses blew over).

But, was very pleased with the overall yield yesterday. For this year I have so far got:

Sweet (Genovese) Basil
Neapolitan Basil (giant crinkly leaveS)
Russian Tarragon
Flat leaf parsley
Leaf Coriander
Mint
Summer Savory
Anise Hyssop
Albertos Quillquina (like Coriander)
Greek Oregano
Sweet Marjoram
Thyme

Still waiting to be potted on are more coriander, parsley, sweet basil and also green perilla, red perilla (both basil substitutes) and oregano (not the Greek variety).

Seeds waiting to be sown are:

Neapolitan Basil (only four plants survived the storm)
Sweet Basil (can never have enough)
Thai Coriander (stronger than the regular stuff)
Lemon Coriander (variant I want to try)
Green and Red Perillas (very few survived the storm)
Arrat Basil (clove scented basil, none survived the storm)
Papalo (another coriander substitute)
Thyme (only got four plants from the last sowing)
Pot Marjoram (just to see how it differs from the sweet variety)
Korean Mint (still hunting down seed but will get there)
Asian Basil (also very clovey but delicious)

I have to set the beans out this month and prepare a patch for the handful of toms I want to trial this year.

So, once this diet is over I can look forward to a year of gastronomic surprises!

How are your preparations getting on?
Sounds good, BB. Alas, I have lost all this year's attempts of butternut, sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes because I did not read instructions! Rolleyes
The packet said plant the seeds in individual pots and I didn't. So when it came to planting them out, the roots were too intertangled and didn't survive transplanting into the peat pots I had.
I have tried again last week by planting the tomatoes individually in peat pots and nothing has germinated.Sad
Methinks this year I shall rather wait and see what comes up in the garden rather Wink

On the positive side, the nasturtiums and alyssums I planted for the kids in their own pots are flourishing... go figure.

Hope the survivors of your crop make it into your tum at the end of the season ... nothing like the fruits of one's own labours Smile
dudette Wrote:Sounds good, BB. Alas, I have lost all this year's attempts of butternut, sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes because I did not read instructions! Rolleyes
The packet said plant the seeds in individual pots and I didn't. So when it came to planting them out, the roots were too intertangled and didn't survive transplanting into the peat pots I had.
I have tried again last week by planting the tomatoes individually in peat pots and nothing has germinated.Sad
Methinks this year I shall rather wait and see what comes up in the garden rather Wink

On the positive side, the nasturtiums and alyssums I planted for the kids in their own pots are flourishing... go figure.

Hope the survivors of your crop make it into your tum at the end of the season ... nothing like the fruits of one's own labours Smile

Hi Dudette,

You still have a chance with the tomatoes - soak them in warm water, wrap in damp tissue paper and stick in a plastic bag somewhere dark and warm. Check daily as they should only take a few days to sprout then. Once sprouted (literally only the tip of a root showing), plant into your peat pots and leave in the hot press (airing cupboard) until they appear above soil level. Make sure the pots don't dry out. This is a great way to play catch up and it works a dream.

With your squash seeds if you nick them with a knife then soak for a half hour and plant on their sides in some potting soil and subject them to the same treatment as the tomatoes they will germinate quickly.

In both instances you can use the biodegradeable peat/paper pots which you can just pop into the ground - eliminates transplant shock and saves you a week or two on growing time.

Good luck!

P.S. if you grow basil amongst your tomato plants it enhances the flavour of the tomatoes when ripe.
Thank you, BB I shall try that. I do love my very own cherry tomatoes! Smile
Woohoo - I managed to find seed for Korean Mint, as well as lime basil and a good lemon basil as well.

On the same website I came across water mint, Entsai water spinach and Chinese water pepper - have ordered seed for these as well - never hurts to try something different.

In the meantime the weather has turned cold here again so I have to move all my plants around to maximise the sun and heat they are getting, and will probably have to bring the tomatoes back indoors. We had frost last week so am not taking chances that we won't get it this week again.
Thanks for all the advice BB

I love gardening, think it is time for me to stop wasting time and money on flowers and plant my own veggies etc!
Bushbaby, the strangest thing happened ...the peat pots that the tomato seeds were refusing to germinate in were getting mouldy on the outside yet the soil within was too dry, so I moved the tray from our kitchen windowsill to the garden table outside. 3 days later we have discovered sprouts in the pots! I always thought they had to be pampered along, but this lot is growing nicely on its own Big Grin
dudette Wrote:Bushbaby, the strangest thing happened ...the peat pots that the tomato seeds were refusing to germinate in were getting mouldy on the outside yet the soil within was too dry, so I moved the tray from our kitchen windowsill to the garden table outside. 3 days later we have discovered sprouts in the pots! I always thought they had to be pampered along, but this lot is growing nicely on its own Big Grin

The peat absorbs a lot of moisture, so it is possible that they took up what was in the soil, leaving that feeling dry. Glad to hear that you got some sprouts.

I have noticed that there are still tomato and chilli seedlings coming up in the seedtray nearly three months after they were planted - seems some take that bit longer than others.

I got most of my remaining herbs seeded up yesterday in spite of the rain. There is one mother of a gale blowing here today though so am hoping against hope that the greenhouses will still be standing when I get home...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something in my garden... birdie 15 6,413 06-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Last Post: birdie
  Useful Site - Garden Watchdog PomBok 5 3,879 18-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby