Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoilt Birds
Since moving to Ireland we have settled into the habit of throwing out any scraps of food we have for the birds - the rooks, crows, jackdaws and magpies will eat anything, and the smaller birds usually like the bread and fruit we throw out.

Recently though I have noticed that the birds avoid the fruit in favour of the 'junk food' items like bread. I am beginning to think that wild birds living in urban areas are acquiring the same bad habits as the humans that live in these areas.

I am now wondering how long it will be before we are inundated with low flying songbirds because they are too overweight to clear the houses.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I am now wondering how long it will be before we are inundated with low flying songbirds because they are too overweight to clear the houses.

:haha:

What is it about bread that makes the birds prefer it? Surely they would prefer the natural seeds and berries than food they don't know?
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
:haha:

What is it about bread that makes the birds prefer it? Surely they would prefer the natural seeds and berries than food they don't know?

You could argue that same point for us. I think it is just easier to eat and is more readily available in urban areas than seeds. Not healthy by any means for them though.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Since moving to Ireland we have settled into the habit of throwing out any scraps of food we have for the birds - the rooks, crows, jackdaws and magpies will eat anything, and the smaller birds usually like the bread and fruit we throw out.

Recently though I have noticed that the birds avoid the fruit in favour of the 'junk food' items like bread. I am beginning to think that wild birds living in urban areas are acquiring the same bad habits as the humans that live in these areas.

I had to laugh at this, BB! :haha: I'm noticing the same thing with the birds in my garden. I put out seeds & bread & have noticed how excited they all get over the bread. I have a wood pigeon who is almost permanently around & it's getting so overweight that it literally waddles around! :p
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For the Birds. Toktokkie 5 4,346 20-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby