Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tulips
My sister bought me tulips bulbs from Amsterdam, it was a lovely thought, however they've just been sitting and staring at me.

Now I thought I could dig real deep and get them in the soil now, with the hope that someday they would pop up, but is this a complete waste of time - I know you should really plant bulbs in September time, but does that mean you can't plant them any other time????
There's no place like home.............
Quote:Originally posted by elrsa
My sister bought me tulips bulbs from Amsterdam, it was a lovely thought, however they've just been sitting and staring at me.

Now I thought I could dig real deep and get them in the soil now, with the hope that someday they would pop up, but is this a complete waste of time - I know you should really plant bulbs in September time, but does that mean you can't plant them any other time????

Tulips from Amsterdam! Big Grin

If you get into your garden by this coming weekend, you should get a show of Tulips by April/May. I think by digging deep, you meant dig deep into yourself and force yourself to do it? But in any case, don't plant the Tulips too deep. 4 - 6 inches into the ground will be plenty. Any deeper and they will take forever to come up.

It might be a good idea for you to put this lot into tubs, in a light soil specially prepared for bulbs, for this year and then in September when the leaves have rotted back, put them into the soil where you want them permanently.

If you do decide on tubs for this year, then place them in a South facing sunny (yeah right!) position so that they get warmth. ( Yeah right again!) Big Grin

Good luck............
Mmmmm, tulips. My hubby bought me some stunning cut tulips on Sunday

Probably one of my best flowers, along with fressias. I clean forgot to plant my bulbs last year, and now I can see everyone's daffodils starting to grow. Once again I will have a dull gardenSad
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
Mmmmm, tulips. My hubby bought me some stunning cut tulips on Sunday

Probably one of my best flowers, along with fressias. I clean forgot to plant my bulbs last year, and now I can see everyone's daffodils starting to grow. Once again I will have a dull gardenSad

Pam M, you can still get flowers if you pop them into pots, not too deep in a light soil made specially for bulbs. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Pam M, you can still get flowers if you pop them into pots, not too deep in a light soil made specially for bulbs. Smile

I will do them this weekend, then. Thanks Big Grin
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
oops, made a mistake Sad
Tulips from Amsterdam! Big Grin

Yes, she said any other gift just wouldn't do.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tara If you get into your garden by this coming weekend, you should get a show of Tulips by April/May. I think by digging deep, you meant dig deep into yourself and force yourself to do it? But in any case, don't plant the Tulips too deep. 4 - 6 inches into the ground will be plenty. Any deeper and they will take forever to come up.

I meant digging deep because I was worried about the frost getting to them, but I'm glad you told me that that's a bad idea.

Quote:Originally posted by Tara It might be a good idea for you to put this lot into tubs, in a light soil specially prepared for bulbs, for this year and then in September when the leaves have rotted back, put them into the soil where you want them permanently.

Now tubs sound like an excellent idea, do you think they could stay in there for longer than a year, because then I could take them with me when we leave the house.

Quote:Originally posted by Tara If you do decide on tubs for this year, then place them in a South facing sunny (yeah right!) position so that they get warmth. ( Yeah right again!) Big Grin

YEAH RIGHT Big Grin :haha:

Quote:Originally posted by Tara Good luck............

Thank-you Smile

And thanks for all other comments too. It looks like I need to find meself some tubs and start planting - I'm just glad I've still got a chance to get these babies growing.
Yep, you can leave them in tubs forever. They just need feeding in summer and every third year, remove the bulbs, split them and replace old soil with new. By splitting them, you get loads of bulbs for free! Big Grin

Here is what I have all in the same tub.....

Bottom layer ..... Daffs
Second layer ..... Lilies
Third Layer ..... Smaller Daffs, Narcissus
Fourth Layer .... Tulips
Fifth Layer .... Crocus
Top Layer .... Snowdrops

This way you get flowers from February until September, pretty much non stop.
Yep, you can leave them in tubs forever. They just need feeding in summer and every third year, remove the bulbs, split them and replace old soil with new. By splitting them, you get loads of bulbs for free! Big Grin

Here is what I have all in the same tub.....

Bottom layer ..... Daffs
Second layer ..... Lilies
Third Layer ..... Smaller Daffs, Narcissus
Fourth Layer .... Tulips
Fifth Layer .... Crocus
Top Layer .... Snowdrops

This way you get flowers from February until September, pretty much non stop.

Wow that sounds beautiful Smile

Thanks for all the advice, at least I know who to ask in the future Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by elrsa

Have you tried talking to them? Smile