Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visa Help?
A friend of mine who works in HR has the following dilemma... can you perhaps help me help her?

"He came to England on 27 April 2005 He has a working holiday maker visa, the work permit expiries on 10.03.06 but he can stay until 2007 on my holiday visa his passport expires in November 2014 ... don't know the exact day

This guy is South African, my understanding on this is that on a holiday maker visa you can work in the UK but has to be less that 12 months. Can he extend this to work longer or would he need apply for a separate workers permit

I have spent a while trawling through government websites but can't seem to get a definitive answer"
Beans
Bean of Love Wrote:A friend of mine who works in HR has the following dilemma... can you perhaps help me help her?

"He came to England on 27 April 2005 He has a working holiday maker visa, the work permit expiries on 10.03.06 but he can stay until 2007 on my holiday visa his passport expires in November 2014 ... don't know the exact day

This guy is South African, my understanding on this is that on a holiday maker visa you can work in the UK but has to be less that 12 months. Can he extend this to work longer or would he need apply for a separate workers permit

I have spent a while trawling through government websites but can't seem to get a definitive answer"

I'm confused??/ Is this person you want to help a he/she or yourself.
I have no idea what you are saying that they can stay on YOUR visa until 2007.

Bottom line is that a WHV is exactly that and is granted for 2 years after which they must return to their country of origin.
If during the course of their employment they end up working for a company that wishes to retain their services, the company can apply for a work permit, this however is no guarantee that it will be granted.
The only other work related option would be under special skills, but he/she would have to meet fairly tough criteria to qualify.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Hi.

It is not for me at all, I am on a AV. My friend is an HR person and her company is/has employed a Saffer and she wanted to know this. She knows that the WHV is only valid for 1 year, so she wanted to know if she should apply for a work permit for him.

It is an IT company so I assume it could be highly skilled
Beans
The RULES:
Work in the UK must not be the main reason for your holiday, so you must spend no more than 12 months working.

You can take most types of work, including voluntary work, but you cannot set yourself up in or run a business, or work as a professional sportsperson. You can choose when to work and when to take your holiday breaks, but you must not work for more than a total of 12 months or you will be breaking the conditions of your stay. Note: if you were issued with a working holidaymaker visa before 8 February 2005, there are no restrictions on the amount or type of work that you are allowed to do.

So, if the company wants to employ him for more than 12 months, they will need to apply for a work permit. Though be warned it is more than a mere application, the company will have to motivate why they need to employ a foreigner as opposed to a local.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Thank you very much for your help!

I have passed this information on and hopefully the Working Holiday maker can get sorted.
Beans

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what kind of visa for a relative????? southeaster 14 8,128 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Last Post: John01
  Ancestry visa may be removed John01 0 5,318 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  spouse visa Heather.T 0 3,899 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Spouse Visa Confusion popeye 0 4,040 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Working holiday visa question catzz220 0 3,685 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Points System Vs Ancestral Visa Bean of Love 0 4,806 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Visa Application for UK resident in SA ll3ctre 0 4,937 Less than 1 minute ago