South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Have You Played With A Penguin Today? AKA The Linux Help Thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

picanin

Dear Little Bear

Another suggestion. If you would like to try before you make any decisions try to find someone with a copy of Mandrake Move. This is a complete OS on a CD that you boot from. You can play around with Linux and when you need to go back to Windows (errrr Uncle Bulgaria does suffer from Tourrettes you know) you just reboot the PC and remove the CD from the drive.

Fondest Regards

Uncle B
dudette Wrote:Thank you for your answer, and for the screenshot of your computer ... it looks quite user-friendly. Smile
So, do you have to buy the CD? I thought you could download it off the Net for free?

You can, I did Smile as Party Boy has already mentioned. What I have done subsequently is to buy a magazine with all three cd's inside, Thanx for the advice on that Picanin, Magazines are so cheap across the pond it's scarey...

Or if you ask nicely I could snail mail you copies of the cd's Smile
Am sadly still waiting for my new play HDD to arrive :mad:

Uncle B. - would it be a good idea to run both OS's on the same HDD for a while ? (my first intention is to get used to it on the new HDD and then install it on my current drive)

picanin

Dear Frozen Bear

If you are going to install Linux and can swap the drives around easily I would recommend installing it on its own on the 9gig drive. If you cannot swap the drives physically your BIOS should allow you to chose which drive to boot from. In which case I would suggest removing your Windows drive and replacing it with your spiffy new eBay drive. Install Linux then when you are sure everything is working fine replace the Linux drive as a secondary to your Windows drive. Then when booting tell the BIOS which drive to boot from. This, in my Wombley opinion is a better option than dual booting.

Anyways I am off to Wimbledon now for tea with my good friend Tux.

Uncle B
picanin Wrote:Dear Frozen Bear

If you are going to install Linux and can swap the drives around easily I would recommend installing it on its own on the 9gig drive. If you cannot swap the drives physically your BIOS should allow you to chose which drive to boot from. In which case I would suggest removing your Windows drive and replacing it with your spiffy new eBay drive. Install Linux then when you are sure everything is working fine replace the Linux drive as a secondary to your Windows drive. Then when booting tell the BIOS which drive to boot from. This, in my Wombley opinion is a better option than dual booting.

Anyways I am off to Wimbledon now for tea with my good friend Tux.

Uncle B

Never thought about that option... Letting my BIOS choose which drive to boot from, was going to physically swap HDD everytime... :duh: Will check out if my motherboard / BIOS supports more drives than I have already...
For anyone just wanting to try Linux out for the first time, you can get a bootable CD on the cover disk of Issue 21 of PC EXTREME magazine (Current edition). It's the latest version of SuSE 9.2. Alternatively Mandrake Move is my choice, as a taste of what Linux is like, if you can get hold of it. Again it's also on a bootable CD-Rom disk. This has absolutely no effect on you computer because it is all run from the CD. Once you reboot to Window$ it's as though Linux was never there. If you have any trouble getting hold of these "Mobile" Cd-Roms I can probably burn a copy for you from one of mine. Once you have tried it you can install the latest Mandrake Linux 10, my system of choice, on to your system.

Good luck to those of you that do give it a go. You'll never have to look back again. You can still keep uncle "Bill's" Window$. On the rare occasion when you are unable to do in Linux that you need to do in Window$ you can always reboot back to the Window$$$$ system. You'll find that you probably wont need to in time. Not only that you'll save a bundle on running costs. Most of the software is Open Source which means it is FREE.

Have Fun
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:

picanin

Hampshire Hog thanks for that! The SuSe live demo CD is also an extremely good taster for anyone wanting to try Linux out. Since it is so easily available at the moment I would suggest anyone wanting to test the waters should go buy a copy of PC Extreme NOW! :p
party boy Wrote:I got mine from Jangar, I will try send u a copy if u want?

Thanks for the offer, but I will try get a copy of PC extreme first.

Will get back to you if I don't come right Smile
dudette Wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I will try get a copy of PC extreme first.

Will get back to you if I don't come right Smile

When you get the cd won't you please make a copy for me as we don't get the mag over here Sad
No prob Bob ... er.. Jangar Smile
Pages: 1 2 3