South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: inherited parenting practices & old wives tales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Piglet

Hi BB
I have never been really exposed to homeopathic remedies in my childhood. But I do think there is some merit in using it .And some people swear by it. It is interesting that a whole town followed the practice of homeopathic remedies at that time. Must have had a very good homeopath in residence.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I also can't abide the taste of Rooibos. I categorise it with Marmite for utter foulness. Sick

Sorry to all those who love either or both of these products. Wink

You know that saying... you either love it or you hate it - well I love Rooibos! I was turned to the Dark Side when I was pregnant with my first one because I didn't want to expose my baby to the effects of tannin etc; I'm pleasantly surprised to see reports constantly justifying my choice. Smile

I'm just waiting for conclusive proof that chocolate is good for you... :p
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
You know that saying... you either love it or you hate it - well I love Rooibos! I was turned to the Dark Side when I was pregnant with my first one because I didn't want to expose my baby to the effects of tannin etc; I'm pleasantly surprised to see reports constantly justifying my choice. Smile

I'm just waiting for conclusive proof that chocolate is good for you... :p

Chocolate is definately good for us..Smile

Just read this in the Family Cirlcle Magazine again....

"Eat chocolate. Chocolate contains exceptionally high levels of antioxidants. It can also calm us down, and fighting stress is another way to live longer."

Now I know why I am so calm, and think I am going to live until I am 200 years old ..... and six meters wide!

Smile
Yippee! No wonder I'm so disgustingly healthy! Big Grin

Piglet

Quote:Originally posted by Pronkertjie
Chocolate is definately good for us..Smile

Just read this in the Family Cirlcle Magazine again....

"Eat chocolate. Chocolate contains exceptionally high levels of antioxidants. It can also calm us down, and fighting stress is another way to live longer."

Now I know why I am so calm, and think I am going to live until I am 200 years old ..... and six meters wide!

Smile

I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news. While chocolate does have some of the feel good & calming chemicals. It lacks the abilty to maintain & sustain the effect. Which can lead to this rolla coaster senario. This is also why when feeling down people can binge on chocolates. The reason being their bodies are craving for the effect of the chocolate but there is no maintaince of that effect. But all is not lost ,green leafy vegatables offer the some effect and is also maintained for longer periods.Wink It's just a simply case of trading in the chocolates for the greens.
I too can't stand the tatse of rooibos, so turn to choc instead.

I don't mind if it has a roller-coaster effect as when it goes down I can just top up with more..

the longest I've been able to stay off choc has been 6 whole weeks...good hey? (not that i've been trying that hard)

Cadbury's is even better than Swiss, friends(especially Pronks) used to send it to me when I lived in Switz.Smile

Piglet

Quote:Originally posted by Jen
I too can't stand the tatse of rooibos, so turn to choc instead.

I don't mind if it has a roller-coaster effect as when it goes down I can just top up with more..

the longest I've been able to stay off choc has been 6 whole weeks...good hey? (not that i've been trying that hard)

Cadbury's is even better than Swiss, friends(especially Pronks) used to send it to me when I lived in Switz.Smile

Wink Wink Not tempted by a large helping of greens then???

sue w

Sadly I too am not a lover of Rooibos Tea (or marmite) Sad and have also passed this gene on to all my kids. I once heard / read somewhere that Rooibos has the equivalent of all the nutrients found in formula and that babies could survive on it for a certain length of time ( I suppose in cases of gastro etc) has anyone else heard this.....?

sue w

Quote:Originally posted by Piglet
I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news. While chocolate does have some of the feel good & calming chemicals. It lacks the abilty to maintain & sustain the effect. Which can lead to this rolla coaster senario. This is also why when feeling down people can binge on chocolates. The reason being their bodies are craving for the effect of the chocolate but there is no maintaince of that effect. But all is not lost ,green leafy vegatables offer the some effect and is also maintained for longer periods.Wink It's just a simply case of trading in the chocolates for the greens.

Hmmmm yum, now ain't that a consolation....bring on those greens Wink But that is very true piglet, that is why depression sufferers should limit their chocolate intake :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
. I once heard / read somewhere that Rooibos has the equivalent of all the nutrients found in formula and that babies could survive on it for a certain length of time ( I suppose in cases of gastro etc) has anyone else heard this.....?

Yes, sue, I've heard of people whose baby was allergic to formula, and their baby was brought up on Rooibos tea. I thought of mentioning it on this forum but thought it too fanciful! Smile
Pages: 1 2 3