South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: 62% of high earners have private medical insurance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Originally posted by mcamp999
http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/ShowArti...3944&nRN=1

Is this a waste of money?

This is obviously just out of a UK viewpoint (seeing the link address) .. any idea about SA ? / rest of the world Mal ?
Quote:Originally posted by FlyingBok
This is obviously just out of a UK viewpoint (seeing the link address) .. any idea about SA ? / rest of the world Mal ?

FB, I don't know percentages, but as we are well aware, private medical is often included as part of a contract of employment in SA. Virtually everyone I know in SA has private medical, although it has become very expensive.

In the USA, the situation is the same, there has been an outcry because 15% of the population do not have private medical. Reason, because it has become too expensive http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/index.php?newsid=5592

In Australia 43% of the population currently has PMI, but they expect that figure to drop. Reason, rising costs. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/0...37207.html

There is a bar chart here which will give you an idea of the G7 comparative figures of private v public spending.

That should give you a flavour! Private medical is becoming more and more expensive around the world, but is apparently essential in many developed countries.
Private medical is becoming more and more expensive around the world, but is apparently essential in many developed countries.

Cheers Mal,

This is the bottomn line as you say.
What I find crazy in SA is people complaining !
As you say most of them is subsidised by their employees but let us face it for what we pay in SA we get a great medical or what do you guys and gals think ?

I am with Discovery - we are 5 - and I pay R3 600 pm for the top of the range - all get's paid.

Amazing how many British come to SA now for medical treatment !
Cheers Mal,

This is the bottomn line as you say.
What I find crazy in SA is people complaining !
As you say most of them is subsidised by their employees but let us face it for what we pay in SA we get a great medical or what do you guys and gals think ?

I agree, and as you can see, this is a world wide problem and appears to be worse in other developed countries.

I am with Discovery - we are 5 - and I pay R3 600 pm for the top of the range - all get's paid.

Amazing how many British come to SA now for medical treatment !

And it gets paid for by the NHS!!
I agree, and as you can see, this is a world wide problem and appears to be worse in other developed countries.

And it gets paid for by the NHS!!

What ?? The NHS pays them for a "service" in SA ? :eek:
What ?? The NHS pays them for a "service" in SA ? :eek:

Yep, when someone has been on the waiting list for a certain period of time, or has a critical condition where there is a waiting list, the NHS will offer you the opportunity to have the op done elsewhere. This may be private or in another country.
I have private medical insurance as part of my renumeration... however I have not used it once.... I would only consider going private if the NHS were unable to provide the treatment either myself or my son's required in a reasonable amount of time... .as my employer pays for this I dont complain......

sue w

Quote:Originally posted by Spacegirl
I have private medical insurance as part of my renumeration... however I have not used it once.... I would only consider going private if the NHS were unable to provide the treatment either myself or my son's required in a reasonable amount of time... .as my employer pays for this I dont complain......

We too have private medical insurance and have never used it.....there are so many terms and conditions attached I have no idea when or where we would be able to use it!!!!!!!!!! Besides i've had no probs with the NHS (yet)
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
We too have private medical insurance and have never used it.....there are so many terms and conditions attached I have no idea when or where we would be able to use it!!!!!!!!!! Besides i've had no probs with the NHS (yet)

But when you need it, it will make all of the difference. I injured my knee last year in September and it took till March before I could have the op. In the meantime I had to limp around in pain all of that time.

I was lucky, as the waiting list is 18 months long.
Pages: 1 2