South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What are you growing this year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

Just curious, what are you all growing in your gardens this year?

Myself I am doing the usual tomatoes and chillies, as well as a selection of salad greens (for the first time). I have also decided to pull up the straggly bushes in the backyard and replace them with a line of soft fruit bushes - one side of the wall will be planted with two each of red, white and black currants, and the opposide wall will be planted with gooseberry bushes. In addition I will be training three raspberry canes up the side of the shed. With the two apple trees already in place it will make for a lovely and mostly edible back garden.

The front garden is being spruced up by digging a trench along the boundary wall and planting mostly summer flowering bulbs - at the moment I have bought gladioli and am shopping around for other flowers as well. In addition I will be planting some herbs - sweet cicely, rosemary, lavender and sage are all on the cards. I wanted to plant two cherry trees but am now not sure if that would work in the space we have.

Under the established hedgerow (foliage only starts some 2ft off the ground) I will plant bulbs of lily of the valley, snowdrop, crocus and freesia later in the year.
Only tomatoes for me this year ... Perhaps I'll still grow marrows, but we have limited sun in the back garden, and the tomatoes will take all that space I think.
No, I haven't gotten lost :haha:

I think this is proably my first post in this forum Blush

Apart from whatever flowers / plants Venus spent a fortune on last week, there are two apple trees in our garden and a walnut tree or is it two :confused: and I think a berry bush or two too. It'll be interesting to see what comes up in all the shrubbery.
All legal stuff! Smile

TracyW

John01 Wrote:All legal stuff! Smile

Need any buyers? :p
Nah, just trying (unsucessfully) to be amusing. Smile

TracyW

John01 Wrote:Nah, just trying (unsucessfully) to be amusing. Smile

Ditto :p
Jangar Wrote:No, I haven't gotten lost :haha:

I think this is proably my first post in this forum Blush

Apart from whatever flowers / plants Venus spent a fortune on last week, there are two apple trees in our garden and a walnut tree or is it two :confused: and I think a berry bush or two too. It'll be interesting to see what comes up in all the shrubbery.

We have a huge garden which is mainly like a mini-wood. I've counted 34 trees visible from my son's bedroom window. Most of the trees are varieties of pine & beech. We also have several holly trees & some other trees, bushes & shrubs that I'm not familiar with. This part of the garden is very natural with an assortment of bulbs eg. crocuses, daffodils, snowdrops & tulips carpeting the ground. Surrounding our actual house are bright red tulips that have just flowered. Then we also have a walled atrium garden which is mostly lawn with flower beds surrounding & an apple tree in the centre. In the flower beds I've planted dahlias, lily bulbs, gladioli bulbs, a gardinia, two rhodedendrons, a peony, two honeysuckles & a jasmin. I still have 80 Irises & another 25 gladioli to plant. We're planning on having our Marriage Blessing in our garden so I basically have 2 months to have it looking amazing - hard work! :p
Venus Wrote:We have a huge garden which is mainly like a mini-wood. I've counted 34 trees visible from my son's bedroom window. Most of the trees are varieties of pine & beech. We also have several holly trees & some other trees, bushes & shrubs that I'm not familiar with. This part of the garden is very natural with an assortment of bulbs eg. crocuses, daffodils, snowdrops & tulips carpeting the ground. Surrounding our actual house are bright red tulips that have just flowered. Then we also have a walled atrium garden which is mostly lawn with flower beds surrounding & an apple tree in the centre. In the flower beds I've planted dahlias, lily bulbs, gladioli bulbs, a gardinia, two rhodedendrons, a peony, two honeysuckles & a jasmin. I still have 80 Irises & another 25 gladioli to plant. We're planning on having our Marriage Blessing in our garden so I basically have 2 months to have it looking amazing - hard work! :p

that sounds great actually - what colour scheme are you going for in the garden that you are havnig your Marriage Blessing in?
Venus Wrote:We have a huge garden which is mainly like a mini-wood. I've counted 34 trees visible from my son's bedroom window. Most of the trees are varieties of pine & beech. We also have several holly trees & some other trees, bushes & shrubs that I'm not familiar with. This part of the garden is very natural with an assortment of bulbs eg. crocuses, daffodils, snowdrops & tulips carpeting the ground. Surrounding our actual house are bright red tulips that have just flowered. Then we also have a walled atrium garden which is mostly lawn with flower beds surrounding & an apple tree in the centre. In the flower beds I've planted dahlias, lily bulbs, gladioli bulbs, a gardinia, two rhodedendrons, a peony, two honeysuckles & a jasmin. I still have 80 Irises & another 25 gladioli to plant. We're planning on having our Marriage Blessing in our garden so I basically have 2 months to have it looking amazing - hard work! :p

Sounds like a place I definately want to visit Smile

:blom:
Pages: 1 2