South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Screen Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

picanin

Beanz yes you may find that 2k or XP ahve the drivers built in for the graphics card. However, an advent PC is a PC World brand so you should be able to find the specs for the PC off the net somewhere. Something you could also try is listing the hardware she has here - ie what CPU does the PC ahve and what RAM. Then I will try to look up on the net and see if there is any sites with old review for the PC - then you may ahve an idea of what graphics card the PC uses.
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Pic,

It sin't a big name brand... I think it is an Advent or something like that with a Seagate hard drive.
I opened up last night, but couldn't find the graphics/video card so i couldn't see the FFc number, so I assume that it is built in.

Would it help if I tried to get a later version of Windows? Say 2000? Beacuse reinstalling and reformatting the machine didn't work.. still just have the standard VGA graphics card.

One thing about these little hick-ups... I get to learn so much more...and that of stuff I never ever thought I'd ever use/do Smile

Seeing as you had it open, you should be able to see if the monitor plugs directly into the mother board...

You say that it worked fine before you installed Norton ??? If so we should be able to get it to work again....
Yip.. the monitor plugged directly into the motherboard....

Yes it worked before Norton, then Norton was taken off to install BT Broadband, and that is when things all went a bit belly up. That is why I decided on a format and clean install... but after the clean install the icons were really big... so when I checked the display, it wouldn't let me change the resolution and was only in 16 colour or black and white....

I have Googled it, and this seems to be a common problem, but I cannot seem to find a common solution....

In the mean time I have handed the pc back..... to be worked on later. I thought that maybe if she installs BT BB now then she could possibly get drivers directly from Microsoft... or am I too optimistic there?

I got your PM... thank you very much! If in English I would love to have it, but would it cure my illness doctor?

picanin

Yes it worked before Norton, then Norton was taken off to install BT Broadband, and that is when things all went a bit belly up. That is why I decided on a format and clean install... but after the clean install the icons were really big... so when I checked the display, it wouldn't let me change the resolution and was only in 16 colour or black and white....

I have Googled it, and this seems to be a common problem, but I cannot seem to find a common solution....

In the mean time I have handed the pc back..... to be worked on later. I thought that maybe if she installs BT BB now then she could possibly get drivers directly from Microsoft... or am I too optimistic there?

I got your PM... thank you very much! If in English I would love to have it, but would it cure my illness doctor?

Beanie, it is doubful that MS will have the drivers on their website. It is more likely she will ahve to get them off the card manufacturers website. However here is another way for you to get the relevant info. Download one of the hardware diagnosis packages of the net and run it. It should give you a list of what hardware is installed on the pc. From that info you should be able to find drivers for the card. One such program - IIRC - is SiSoft Sandra. Idf I remember correctly that should do the trick. Another way of doing it would be to go to http://www.driverguide.com and snif around there with the make and model of the PC - or the card info if Sandra works for you.

If that doesnt work come back to me........................

This is crazy !!!!!

I am at a loss :mad:

Will dig around and see what cds I have lying about... Don't get your hopes up though Sad

I am grasping at straws now.... have you tried do a fdisk ?
Stupid question time !!!!

Could it be something in the BIOS ???

Me thinks as the 'graphics card' is on the mother board there may be options for it in there... Just a crazy thought....

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
This is crazy !!!!!

I am at a loss :mad:

Will dig around and see what cds I have lying about... Don't get your hopes up though Sad

I am grasping at straws now.... have you tried do a fdisk ?

Jan FDISK wont help - it has nothing to do with the partitioning of the drive. This is simply a problem with getting the correct drivers for the graphics card. Ditto BIOS settings. Beanie needs to determine what type of card or chipset is being used and then take it from there. The OS isnt reporting the corect chipset so she will need to either physically read it off the chips on the bhoard or find some other way of doing it. However the BIOS may ahve a setting to enable / disable the on board graphics and this may need to be set to enable to allow Windows to detect the card.

Beanie here is a link for you to look at.
Advent PC's

Another thought, when you boot the PC Beanie deos it not tell you what card it is using on the very first screen that comes up?

Beanie if worst comes to worst look on eBay and find a second hand PCI graphics card with driver disk. Slap that into the PC and load the drivers - you may need to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS. Pity you live in the gamadoolas!

picanin

PS Beanz go look at the specs on that website. If you know what processor is in the PC you should be able to find out what graphics chips are used. Once you ahve found that out you can start looking for drivers.......
SiSoftware Sandra (The "System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant") is very useful in determining hardware components.
Have a look here http://www.sisoftware.net/

It's a bit of a busy website, one of the download sites is here http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_de...005,00.asp

I recommend it
Thanx to all!

In the mean time I have handed tjommie's pc back to her as she can still use it.... at least until I have the problem solved or until she goes away on holiday again!

When you intelligent super human's start talking about fdisk and bios and and... I start getting worried about how limited my knowledge really is!

As you can recall, it has only been about 3 weeks since I reformatted a pc for the first time.....

But then again, without YOU and without these unfurtunate doodles, I'd still be stupid Big Grin ;D

So, my poa is... I am going to wait until she has loaded her Broadband, then I'll make a plan to go to hers and fix it from there... I'll give you advance notice of when I am going so that you can be my online back-up....Wink or is that tooo cheeky???

Thankes again boyz.... your help does not go unnoticed!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5