South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Screen Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just noticed what you called me !!!

So I am sulking....

See you later !!!

Goodnight !!!

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Create a start disk and make sure the normally hidden files are om there too.. Make sure that FORMAT.COM and FDISK.com are on the diskette to...

Jan FDISKing is not going to help one bit when Windows cannot correctly identify the graphics adapter being used on the motherboard. All you are doing is just giving Beanie more work to do. All that Windows needs is the correct drivers for the graphics card. Do a search on the net - there are loads of tech support forums with people who eat and breathe PC's. Ask them and they will tell you the same - as per Beanies description Windows has been unable to detect the correct graphics card and is thus using the default adapter drivers which do not work correctly with the installed card. Beanie boot the PC and watch the start up screen. There should be an indication of what speed the CPU is running at in the start up screens.

Here are the specs on some of the PIII models which were manufactured under the Advent name. Use the start up screen to identify the exact model and then tell me. I will find the graphics drivers for you if need be. If it doesnt list your PC download Sandra and see what the graphics card is listed as.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Jan FDISKing is not going to help one bit when Windows cannot correctly identify the graphics adapter being used on the motherboard. All you are doing is just giving Beanie more work to do. All that Windows needs is the correct drivers for the graphics card. Do a search on the net - there are loads of tech support forums with people who eat and breathe PC's. Ask them and they will tell you the same - as per Beanies description Windows has been unable to detect the correct graphics card and is thus using the default adapter drivers which do not work correctly with the installed card. Beanie boot the PC and watch the start up screen. There should be an indication of what speed the CPU is running at in the start up screens.

Here are the specs on some of the PIII models which were manufactured under the Advent name. Use the start up screen to identify the exact model and then tell me. I will find the graphics drivers for you if need be. If it doesnt list your PC download Sandra and see what the graphics card is listed as.

Pic, like I said I am grasping at straws.... What could suddenly have gone wrong seeing as she has done the exact installtion before, same cd and hardware ???

So my train of thought is that a format doesn't delete everything... We all know how easy it is to unformat, and uses previous info from the HD....

But being an onboard adapter I still suspect the BIOS Sad

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Pic, like I said I am grasping at straws.... What could suddenly have gone wrong seeing as she has done the exact installtion before, same cd and hardware ???

So my train of thought is that a format doesn't delete everything... We all know how easy it is to unformat, and uses previous info from the HD....

But being an onboard adapter I still suspect the BIOS Sad

Jan I agree the BIOS may have a role here but it is simply an on or off. Either the onboard graphics are switched on or not. If Beanie doesnt come right in the next day or two I suggest she tells her friend that it will cost her in the region of £20 to fix and she goes out and buys a new graphics card. A cheapie can be gotten for less than £20. Getting the screen res to work will be simple IF Beanie has the correct drivers for the existing card but obviously she doesnt. If she cant find out what chipset the card uses then she may as well either buy a new card. However Beanie ahve you thought of asking around at work - maybe someone will ahve a cheapie 4 or 8 meg card that is useless to them now and that they dont want?
Pic and Jan...

I have just been on the phone with tjommie. Apart fromt he flippin screen res, the pc is working like a dream, BUT when she tried to install her BT Business package, it came up with an Illegal Operation error, and said something about drivers and apparently a lot of numbers. She wrote the whole error message down, and will give it to me tomorrow.

I am getting hte PC back tomorrow together with the user guide, so hopefully I would be a bit wiser and be able to let you know what is what.

She also discovered a disk which came with the computer which, fromt he sounds of things might have something to do witht he set-up of her pc.

So, I will let you know what I can see tomorrow.

Now... is there a way for me to connect her pc to the internet through my LAN? If so, how? I think it would be easier to download directly onto her pc rather than on mine, onto a cd, onto her pc....

picanin

Beanz hows your LAN configured? Are you using a switch or a hub? If so does the PC have a network card installed? If it does then it is dead simple. If it deosnt well then you are stuffed! But if you have a spare ethernet card that you can pop in then connecting ehr up to the LAN is simple. Jsut bear in mind to check whether you use DHCP assigned IP or static and configure the machine accordingly.
:rofl:
Pic....

English please!

Seriously, I have no idea, I just thought that I could go through my LAN. reason for my thinking so is that the playstation works through LAN which uses the internet to connect so hubby can play with ppl in France etc.

I have a wireless asdl router and mmmnnnn that is all I can tell you.. Me.. she is stupid... cannot answer your queeeschtions...Big Grin

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
:rofl:
Pic....

English please!

Seriously, I have no idea, I just thought that I could go through my LAN. reason for my thinking so is that the playstation works through LAN which uses the internet to connect so hubby can play with ppl in France etc.

I have a wireless asdl router and mmmnnnn that is all I can tell you.. Me.. she is stupid... cannot answer your queeeschtions...Big Grin

Hokeykokey! In which case all you need is to have / get a network card in the offending PC. Set the networking up to use DHCP - your router will be running a DHCP server - and Bobs the ruler of a 3rd world cesspit! If it deos have a network card and you need help configuring it shout!
And the saga continues..... Sad

OK.. friend was supposed to bring her pc to work, but has now forgotten to do that for 2 days, so I will only get it hopefully on Monday!

I have persuaded her to buy Win XP home, but the OEM version.... do you, in your opinion, think that this would cure the problem?

Then, if you had a look at this link, which one would you suggest she buys? there are two options...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/...0264#pinfo

then, what I plan on doing is: reformat the machine, then install XP home and from there I will be able to install my "borrowed" copy of XP office.

What do you guys think?
i'm afraid it won't be so easy... have you read the small print...
This is a legal OEM version of Windows licensed by Microsoft to be sold with any "non-peripheral hardware component" and is bundled as such.

OEM versions are sold ready installed on a new PC, if you are lucky they may sell it to you with a new hard disk.

So you are looking at the Upgrade from Win 98 (£75), the Home Edition (£150 at eBuyer - ouch!!) or get a new hard disk (£30+) with the OEM version with Service Pack 1A. (£51.33)

why is nothing simple Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5