Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocking against the system - an album discussion
Jan unfortunately this is purely a commercial compilation. It is mainly mainstream SA pop. Which is why it is very suprising that Mank Groove and Mr Clegg did not feature. However, with the exception of Bright Blue, most of these guys were pop artists of little substance. As much as I still oppose what these guys supposedly stood for politically Bright Blue's song Weeping is in my opinion one of SA's greatest pop songs.

Now if you really want to listen to some anti establishment rockers, go listen to Jack Hammers' song Goienag Generaal. This has to be one of the most barbed songs that the government ever had thrown at it. The fact that Piet Botha on vocals is Piks son makes it all the better. Or take a listen to Johannes Kerkorrel en die Gereformeerde Blues Band songs like Sit Dit Af or BMW. These were the real people who fought the system musically. Ostracized by their people and families many of these guys paid a high price for their opposition.

Again as much as I didnt agree with what most of these guys stood for, some excellent music came out of that period in SA but more so amongst the alternative Afrikaans music.

Messages In This Thread
Rocking against the system - an album discussion - by picanin - 27-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Album Covers - Whats your Favourite? picanin 1 3,597 08-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Joan
  First Album ever bought jimswin 12 8,160 11-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Jangar
  Bat out of Hell - An album discussion Jangar 31 14,948 11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
  Album discussion - Mango Groove's untitled album Jangar 4 5,060 09-03-2004, 03:23 AM