Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone involved in Catering/ Hospitality etc
well, i know i enjoyed the few odd years i spend working in hotels (6 all together). had many laughs, tears ect. ok, was never in the kitchen peeling onions, but on the rooms side.

gosh, am almost making myself "homesick" again. only problem is the pay. why oh why do they have to pay so sh!t? (well at least here in germany). otherwise i might just up my job and go back to hotels.
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
Hi Buffalo

Out of interest, which sites and publications are you subscribed to?

Hotel & restaurant, Real business, hospitality.net, choice.

I'm also busy looking at the requirements to join the EHMA.
Life is for living
Sterretjie

I admire anyone that has the fortitude to actually go and wait on tables, be involved in restaurants or hotels and has the guts to say they loved it!

It's a passion of mine and see no ill in being able to serve people something that they view as magical.

If you're really that homesick for the industry.. I guess Switzerland should be looked into for the better paying areas of employment (so I'm led to believe).

The life you tend to lead is not one that can be considered "normal" by most people.. but to those of us in the industry.. it's perfectly acceptable with job satisfaction a huge plus.

I guess the better you are at your job, the more rewarding it will be in terms of finance etc..

Personally having met you (albeit briefly) I think you'd do extremely well on the F.O.H. side - it's a pity that there aren't that many people out there who are willing to make a go of it and do thewhole career thing.
Sure.. you might start as a waitress.. yet one day end up the proud owner of a chain of boutique hotels..

Everything is possible.. think about it Wink
Quote:Originally posted by buffalo
Hotel & restaurant, Real business, hospitality.net, choice.

I'm also busy looking at the requirements to join the EHMA.

Nice one. Let us know how it goes
Quote:Originally posted by sterretjie
well, i know i enjoyed the few odd years i spend working in hotels (6 all together). had many laughs, tears ect. ok, was never in the kitchen peeling onions, but on the rooms side.

gosh, am almost making myself "homesick" again. only problem is the pay. why oh why do they have to pay so sh!t? (well at least here in germany). otherwise i might just up my job and go back to hotels.

The pay is lousy to start with, but if you make a career out of it you can make big ££££. The money starts to come in at senoir and executive management level. Depending who you with you also get performance based bonuses which could be up to 3 months salary. I'm in senior management at the moment but i took this position for career advancement not ££££.

Next year i go for £££££.
Life is for living
moved to new section
Cheffie Wrote:I think in most places on the Continent it's seen as a career and something worthwhile doing..

However the message is slow to reach these parts across the puddle - sometimes it's seen as "beneath them".. which is a great shame really

We run a little hotel here in the Isle of Man and have the same problem.. It is considered beneath them to do work of any description let alone be a waiter or barperson.

There is however an International Hotel school here on the island which puts students through their paces. Most of the graduates there at least have the right idea and flea back to Europe where they are respected.

My husband and I have both been in this industry for years and often bang our heads at the lack of interest the people have on the rock.
southeaster Wrote:My husband and I have both been in this industry for years and often bang our heads at the lack of interest the people have on the rock.

Though we have a slightly larger rock over here Wink .. sadly it seems that the attitudes are the same.

It'll take years for the industry to become 'accepted' as a great career - what fascinates me is this huge 'pub culture' that they've had for hundreds of years... yet they still struggle to find the staff!

I guess with the opening of the borders last year, it's filled a slight gap - but no where near the volumes that the industry needs ITO professionals etc.

Oh well.. never a dull moment to be had Big Grin
Hi Cheffie

I can tell you about the IT side of setting up hotel/outlets/rest. etc

Micros, Fidelio etc
Beertjie Wrote:Hi Cheffie

I can tell you about the IT side of setting up hotel/outlets/rest. etc

Micros, Fidelio etc

Don't be shy then... Wink
Big Grin

Seriously though its sometimes a bugbear yet a necessary evil! Feel free to drop a line or post an article on it...

I'm all for learning something new