Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins diet
One of my biggest problems, aside from the fact that I have always been big, is that I am allergic to dairy, and increasingly processed carbohydrates as well. Dairy gives me headaches and causes other upsets, bread, pototoes, pasta, etc. gives me the shakes, a general feeling of being unwell, and occasionally I get physically ill (throwing up, etc).

Now, it was explained to me that even trace amounts of foodstuffs I am allergic to would prevent weightloss on any diet. It is surprising how hard it is to avoid products with dairy in in particular - most things have dairy extracts in them. Same goes for carbohydrates - even your average spice mix has cereal in it.

That said, I have done the very strict type of dieting as and when I can afford it. It does work, to a point.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Joan, I find your attitude very disappointing. Looking at a fat person and assuming they are that way because they overeat is like looking at a blonde and assuming she is stupid, or looking at an Afrikaner and assuming he is an inbred racist. Stereotypes with little validity behind it. I would have expected a more enlightened view from someone who is otherwise so obviously intelligent.

As to those overweight people who are that way because they overeat, I would ask you to look beyond the obvious and ask yourself why they overeat? Very often that too is the result of an emotional problem, be it insecurity, fear, or something else - eating becomes a comfort blanket, something to hide behind or find solace in.

These things are not as simple as you and some other apparently ill informed individuals would like to believe. What I have seen here is just more of the casual arrogance of people who have never bothered to try and understand why others are the way they are. Very disappointing indeed.
I do not really understand this posting of yours bushbaby, sorry that I only reply now, I do not have access to my pc until late evenings sometimes.
Perhaps you should scroll back and read what I wrote.
I said that overeating is mostly the reason for becoming obese, you told me about your sister etc.
I did mention that some endocrine disorders may be the cause of obesity.
I never ever said anything negative about obese people, I said that overeating is the great problem. You now mention emotional problems, etc.
All I am saying is that one should limit your intake ...blah blah blah

You attacked me bushbaby, I never uttered any negative things about obese or overweight people...........
Just said if you want to lose weight.........scroll back........
Just btw, what does the blonde factor or being an Afrikaner have to do with one's weight?
I have no problems with overweight people, they seem to have problems with themselves and then resort to unhealthy eating habits....the only thing I did was to mention the fact that the Atkins diet is not a safe or healthy diet.:mad:
Sorry Joan if this seemed like a personal attack. Some of the sentences in your post were harsh to me because they were almost word for word what people have been telling me my whole life. There has always been an assumption that I was fat because I overeat. That has never been true.

I also took issue with the fact that the Atkins diet was again being criticised, when it was the one diet that actually worked well for me. I wonder how many overweight people for whom this diet might have worked were turned off trying this diet because of negative word of mouth?

In retrospect my posts are harsh, and I apologise for that. We have our separate points of view, and I respect that.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
the only thing I did was to mention the fact that the Atkins diet is not a safe or healthy diet.:mad:

Joan, there was a programme on TV last night - Horizons, which proved that the Atkins diet is safe and it works. The only thing is, they don't know how it works. It just does.

I have maintained for years that the way to lower the "bad" cholesterol - the one manufactured by our own bodies - is to take in cholesterol making foods.

I proved this. When my man died nearly 4 years ago, I went off meat. I became a vegetarian - perfect for lowering cholesterol? No. Definitely not. From being a person with no health problems whatsoever, I now have higher than normal cholesterol and resulting high blood pressure. I started eating meat again and lo and behold, my cholesterol reduced. Yes, this is not a scientific result, by no means, but it is just another little boost to the Atkins diet.

It has been proven scientifically that when people are on the Atkins diet, their cholesterol reduces. How can this be bad?

Certainly not everyone should be on it. But there is only one recorded death, "apparently" as a result of this diet. Given that millions of people have used or are on the diet now, that is not a bad record is it?
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Joan, there was a programme on TV last night - Horizons, which proved that the Atkins diet is safe and it works. The only thing is, they don't know how it works. It just does.

I have maintained for years that the way to lower the "bad" cholesterol - the one manufactured by our own bodies - is to take in cholesterol making foods.

I proved this. When my man died nearly 4 years ago, I went off meat. I became a vegetarian - perfect for lowering cholesterol? No. Definitely not. From being a person with no health problems whatsoever, I now have higher than normal cholesterol and resulting high blood pressure. I started eating meat again and lo and behold, my cholesterol reduced. Yes, this is not a scientific result, by no means, but it is just another little boost to the Atkins diet.

It has been proven scientifically that when people are on the Atkins diet, their cholesterol reduces. How can this be bad?

Certainly not everyone should be on it. But there is only one recorded death, "apparently" as a result of this diet. Given that millions of people have used or are on the diet now, that is not a bad record is it?

The horisons programme must have been a few months old - latest, latest research shows that if more than 20% of your diet (on the atkins) is food containing saturated fats - then big trouble. (and this from results released in the last few weeks.)
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
The horisons programme must have been a few months old - latest, latest research shows that if more than 20% of your diet (on the atkins) is food containing saturated fats - then big trouble. (and this from results released in the last few weeks.)

It was a current programme.

Last year they did a test diet programme and this was the result of the scientific results of that programme.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/cholesterol.html

This site gives a lot of scientific information regarding cholesterol, HDL and LDL and how to maintain a healthy balance between the two, etc.

There is a short tutorial on the rigth hand side of the page, very simple , yet provides lots of information!
It was a current programme.

Last year they did a test diet programme and this was the result of the scientific results of that programme.

Could it be a repeat? I thought they screened this a while back, but I can't remember the exact date, it was round about the last time this issue raised it's head on the boards was when the results of their diet tests were shown on horizon. Smile

I have not seen it Tara... did they mention a maximum amount of fat (saturated as well as unsaturated) that is allowed per day, or not?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkins Diet whirlpool 42 18,421 18-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Joan
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,328 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,641 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,697 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: