Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biltong spice
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
this looks familiar.

really dumb question for you - how do you roast coriander? i know fresh coriander is available should i use this instead of the packaged stuff?

Use the packaged stuff, put into frying pan on stove over medium heat, roast till colour changes slightly and aroma is detected. We then grind this in a mortar and pestle, to a coarse consistency ( to your own taste, we like some coarse shells on the meat) leave a little bit in (in the M&P) and grind very fine, typically one third.

We soak the meat for 3-4 hours in the spices and then do a very quick rinse to remove most coarse salt, then put the juices in the container in a sieve and rinse all remaining salt off with warm water (leaves coriander shells in sieve) then lay wet meat onto roller towel sprinkle spices out of sieve over meat equally then pat dry with roller towel on top (squeeze hard to dry meat out and force spices into meat). Then hang in dryer.

Voila!! Enjoy with lots of beer later.

We're even converting Germans to biltong Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Use the packaged stuff, put into frying pan on stove over medium heat, roast till colour changes slightly and aroma is detected. We then grind this in a mortar and pestle, to a coarse consistency ( to your own taste, we like some coarse shells on the meat) leave a little bit in (in the M&P) and grind very fine, typically one third.

We soak the meat for 3-4 hours in the spices and then do a very quick rinse to remove most coarse salt, then put the juices in the container in a sieve and rinse all remaining salt off with warm water (leaves coriander shells in sieve) then lay wet meat onto roller towel sprinkle spices out of sieve over meat equally then pat dry with roller towel on top (squeeze hard to dry meat out and force spices into meat). Then hang in dryer.

Voila!! Enjoy with lots of beer later.

We're even converting Germans to biltong Big Grin
:thumbs: i will try your method, i always soaked for 1-3hrs. mix vinegar / salt /pepper and the bag of mix spices (which also had more salt and pepper. Then to differ just lifted meat up knocked off salt, somwhow pepper and coriander remained behind and hung it up to dry. i added a fan contraption to my drying unit and even in the UK i had billies after 3 days, and then i had friends Wink
oddly enough i try not to convert too many people, otherwise they come to expect it :haha:
oh and i never roasted coriander.... just crushed it up and applied :wall:
I am snacking away at my bilton I made on Monday night... The easiest best way ever....

I ususally buy Sirloin, it seems to absorb the flavours better...

Take rock salt (coase salt) and liberally sprinkle it over the meat. I usually cover the meat totally... then leave it for an hour, NOT LONGER

pour white wine vinager in a deep bowl... you'll see why in a bit

Scrape the salt off the meat after the hour, and dip/drag it through the vinager...

Then put your spices on... I usually only use ground corriander, black pepper and sometimes a bit of crushed chilli... rub it into the meat and hang up in biltong box for 3 days

If you wanted to use whole corriander, you could, but this tastes better roasted.... to roast corriander you just put the pices in a pan (without oil) and keep it over the heat for a few minutes...
Beans
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
I am snacking away at my bilton I made on Monday night... The easiest best way ever....

I ususally buy Sirloin, it seems to absorb the flavours better...

Take rock salt (coase salt) and liberally sprinkle it over the meat. I usually cover the meat totally... then leave it for an hour, NOT LONGER

pour white wine vinager in a deep bowl... you'll see why in a bit

Scrape the salt off the meat after the hour, and dip/drag it through the vinager...

Then put your spices on... I usually only use ground corriander, black pepper and sometimes a bit of crushed chilli... rub it into the meat and hang up in biltong box for 3 days

If you wanted to use whole corriander, you could, but this tastes better roasted.... to roast corriander you just put the pices in a pan (without oil) and keep it over the heat for a few minutes...
another method to try out, thanks. the chilli is a nice idea as well. off to the shops in a bit to buy the spice etc
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff
If you mix up a large amout of spice to store, leave the salt out and add it to the rest as you need it.

It is the salt that absorbs the moisture to make the gopoey mess.
thanks; it converted the brown sugar to syrup - it smelt good but created a mess....Big Grin

BTW unavoidably left the meat a little too long this time so it is a bit salty also could not find whole coriander !!!!:chef:
BUT it has only taken a day and a half to be almost bone dry!!! .:thumbs: cut some up this morning for kids to take to school
So what does it taste like other than been a bit salty. We have a problem here aswell with getting whole coriander, but whenever I see it I buy quite a bit, so I have coriander from various countries Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
So what does it taste like other than been a bit salty. We have a problem here aswell with getting whole coriander, but whenever I see it I buy quite a bit, so I have coriander from various countries Rolleyes
i bought pre ground coriander seed and also ground coriander - i was not sure if the leaves are also dried and crushed. i used both of them along with course gnd pepper and the flavour has come out in the biltong, just not the same without the kernels. the kids are all over me like flies on ***, just to get some - pure cupboard love, so it can't be too bad. Wink
Well that is good to hear, we don't use the leaves ourselves, but it sounds interesting maybe we will try crushed coriander leaves next time Smile