Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying with a baby
I want to surprise my dad in SA to show him his first grandson.... BUT before I do... I'm looking for some tips about flying with babies. :dazed:

Can I take my pram with, including the snug and safe seat? Does it count towards my baggage allowance?

How much baggage allowance does a baby get? The standard 20kg?

Any suggestions for on the plane? What do I do about his ears popping? Feeding (bottle feeding) and changing him on the plane? Can they warm up formula on the plane?

Can I get preferential seating i.t.o. bulkhead seats?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

:babyroll: Thanx :babyroll:
Beans
Bean of Love Wrote:I want to surprise my dad in SA to show him his first grandson.... BUT before I do... I'm looking for some tips about flying with babies. :dazed:

Can I take my pram with, including the snug and safe seat? Does it count towards my baggage allowance?

Any suggestions for on the plane? What do I do about his ears popping? Feeding (bottle feeding) and changing him on the plane? Can they warm up formula on the plane?

When travelling with a baby one normally gets good seating......I always have.

If I remember correctly I think that the pram etc. does count towards your baggage allowance.

They warm the formula for you on the plane. It's a good idea to have a fresh nappy just before boarding. Changing of nappies is no problem as they have change tables. Disposable nappies are very expensive in SA.

Sleeping is no problem either as there's sky cots.

Pack all your necessities in little polythene bags in an accessible place.
Bean of Love Wrote:I want to surprise my dad in SA to show him his first grandson.... BUT before I do... I'm looking for some tips about flying with babies. :dazed:

Yes you can take your pram with, right up to the aeroplane, but they will put it in the cargo hold just before you get on, and then when you get off, they will give it back before you enter the building.
Your baby will get the same baggage allowance as you do.
For his ears, simply giving him a bottle to drink should be enough.
I'm sure they do have a fold-out tray in the toilet for you to change him. I vaguely remember changing my daughter on one for our trip out there when she was 9 months old.
You can get preferential seating, but you do need to specifically ask for it when you book your seats.

Other than that, don't forget to check out my thread on Cheap tickets with KLM (if you don't mind a connecting flight during the day! Big Grin )

Otherwise, happy flying Smile
Have just been told that on SAS babies are only allowed 10kg's.....when you book your ticket enquire about it......excess baggage costs an arm and a leg.. :yikes:
Excess baggage does cost arm and leg, but do check on how full the plane is as I have found that with emptier planes they are more lenient when your baggage is overweight. Usually the pram does not count towards your luggage amount eg that is why the baby is allowed only 10kg. Car seats can be rented in SA, or borrowed. Disposable nappies are more expensive, but not that more that it warrents you bringing along nappies for the duration of your stay - anyway the extra the nappies cost will be offset by the lesser cost of other items.
Happy flying and enjoy your visit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baby Amber has arrived SpankyJax 24 12,172 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TheDuck
  Your opinion about care for baby Bean of Love 9 5,471 29-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Last Post: angelbabe
  Registering A New Born Baby Bean of Love 2 4,462 28-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Last Post: mcamp999
  Baby Care Suggestions Bean of Love 12 7,133 31-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Cali
  Next New Baby Question Bean of Love 33 15,514 29-09-2004, 06:28 AM