Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Lord - Cape Town City
Rest in peace.

Trained under him for a while.
Peter Raath Wrote:Hi,
I have just joined. Saw your remarks about the late Frank. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that there is now a book out on the full history of SA soccer.
See http://www.soccerthroughtheyears.com
I am the author of the 400 A4 page publication which took over 3 years to complete.
Please pass the word around.
Regards
Peter Raath

post with ForumAdmin acknowledgement

just ordered it via amazon amazing the power of the internet.
Family were season-ticket holders at Hartleyvale (Hosking Stand) from the begining with Jose de Nobrega (give a man a Lucky), Ian Goodall (the penalty king), Eric Logan, Roger Coetzee etc. Our Championship winning captain, Jimmy Morrison lived in the same block of flats in Vredehoek. Watched the hated Hellenic at Green Point when we were away. Nothing was like the excitement of waiting for Friday nights to come. I later years I sat behind the goals on the pitch at both grounds pretending to be a press photographer. It was so easy. Most matches, didn't have a film in the camera, but do, however, have a collection of photo's which I'll updload from time to time. (I've just submitted the first couple).Those were great (footballing) days.
To all City supporters,

Have added images to the gallery.

Hilton.
I'm only 27 now, so I've haven't seen Cape Town City FC play but last year I picked up a book at the library about Cape Town City FC and I must admit I'm a bit jealous that I'd not been part of it all. To have seen what you are talking about and what the book spoke about would have been amazing!

What I don't understand is why people in Cape Town don't speak about it much. It took me 26 years to hear about Cape Town City FC. How can that be?

Secondly, reading the book gave me a sense of what the atmosphere was like in those days. It's not like that anymore. Will Cape Town ever see anything like that again?
Gershwin Welcome

it was frankly unbelievable. I was a Hellenic supporter who were based on Green Point Common and played at Green Point Stadium

football (soccer) night on a Friday evening was something exceptional with the Cape Town City derby being unbelievable even the visit of Highlands Park was something to behold

to get crowds of 25000 was not abnormal for those times

a brilliant time to grow up in Cape Town
Gershwin Hi

Where did you get a copy of that book? i.e. what Library? do you have the name of the author maybe as I would like to get a copy. Must say that there are many of us who are happy to talk about those times, look up about the IFA football and you would be surprised at how good that was as well.
mcamp999 Wrote:Gershwin Hi

Where did you get a copy of that book? i.e. what Library? do you have the name of the author maybe as I would like to get a copy. Must say that there are many of us who are happy to talk about those times, look up about the IFA football and you would be surprised at how good that was as well.

Hi mcamp,

Is the IFA thread still on here!!! For your info we are organising an Ex-Swiss FC get together here in CH. Mostly oldies but sometimes there are a couple that bring back a blast from the past. Even Wilf De Bruin turned up a few years ago.

regards

Bro
bro Wrote:Hi mcamp,

Is the IFA thread still on here!!! For your info we are organising an Ex-Swiss FC get together here in CH. Mostly oldies but sometimes there are a couple that bring back a blast from the past. Even Wilf De Bruin turned up a few years ago.

regards

Bro

Hope so, Duckie can you assist please?
The first footie match I saw at Hartleyvale was in 1964, CTCity against Real Madrid which included those two brilliant wingers Puskas and Ghento who played for Hungary in the 1966 World Cup. From that day I was a City fan. Dick Kemp was their manager, Reg Smith then Frank Lord, I think. Kevin Lewis came later and Roy Bailey (Gary's father) was the last (I think.....I'm having too many senior moments lately). I sometimes wonder whether the teams in SA today would stand a chance against the likes of CTCity, Hellenic, Durban City, Highlands Park, Addington. Any thoughts?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cape Town soccer at a crossroads mcamp999 2 4,084 30-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Last Post: mcamp999
  Cape Town City hilton_teper 0 12,703 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: