Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Top Sellers
Re the James Patterson book - someone told me he's very gory ... if so I'm not too keen. If he's more along the lines of Ian Rankin, I'll try him. How about posting the blurb of the book you're keen on reading?

I've just finished the No1 Ladies Detective Agency and throughly enjoyed it. How about we start a discussion on that one, seeing as others have already read it?
Quote:Originally posted by nikkinaz
Hi there

Brainstorming is fine, but considering when I first suggested the book club on VS so many folks were interested. Now when a few books are put up we do not get any takers nor any comments....no one really seems to bother much in saying yes or no or even suggesting a book.... I might have suggested an odd book previously - fine!, but I wish people would say NO I do not want to read that but perhaps this, instead the book club stays untouched for a few days...!

I will read both of these books no problem, but perhaps we should settle on ONE ... and a few replies would be nice. I am not too sure if the "club" will ever get to read a book and talk about it.

well u know how i feel now.....running this book club and nobody seems to take an interest......Sad

we will keep on trying and see what happens...early days...just have patience......i am going to read the book i gave a review on and see if it is any good...Smile as for the James Patterson...i wll get it and read it too....but just remember also alot of ppl do not like crime and gory things...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
well u know how i feel now.....running this book club and nobody seems to take an interest......Sad

we will keep on trying and see what happens...early days...just have patience......i am going to read the book i gave a review on and see if it is any good...Smile as for the James Patterson...i wll get it and read it too....but just remember also alot of ppl do not like crime and gory things...Smile

Whoever told you James Patterson is gory? He write mostly about a cop trying to cath serial killers. People may die, but he does not "do" gory..... Some of his book are even love strories....

Seriously, while he does write "crime" stories, he is really not gory at all. While he might not be to everyone's tastes, he is a good author (but so are many, many, MANY others Big Grin ).

Really, I am very keen to be a part of this book club, I just think it is going to be really difficult to get us all to agree on a title/author, but I thought the whole point of this (well, for me anyway) was to get peope to branch out and try something new....

Here is a Review and Synopsis for you, dudette....

Book Description
Detective Lindsay Boxer and Assistant District Attorney Jill Bernhardt are enjoying a quiet afternoon in San Francisco when a townhouse across the street explodes in flames. A sinister note signed "August Spies" is found at the scene of the disaster, and the body of an infant who was asleep in the house at the time of the explosion cannot be found. Soon a wave of violent incidents, all with links to political terrorism and involving "August Spies," sweeps through the city. An upcoming economic summit of the world's most powerful nations will surely be a target. And it's up to the Women's Murder Club to get to the bottom of the violence before it's too late. Delivering the breakneck pace and never-saw-it-coming plot twists that have made James Patterson the most addictive writer at work today, 3rd DEGREE is another searing and unforgettable thriller from the bestselling suspense writer.
Synopsis
One of James Patterson's best loved heroines is about to die. Detective Lindsay Boxer is jogging along a beautiful San Francisco street when a fiery explosion rips through the neighborhood. A town house owned by an Internet millionaire is immediately engulfed in flames, and when Lindsay plunges inside to search for survivors, she finds three people dead. An infant who lived in the house cannot be found - and a mysterious message at the scene leaves Lindsay and the San Francisco Police Department completely baffled. Then a prominent businessman is found murdered under bizarre circumstances, with another mysterious message left behind by the killer. Lindsay asks her friends Claire Washburn of the medical examiner's office, Assistant D.A. Jill Bernhardt, and Chronicle reporter Cindy Thomas to help her figure out who is committing these murders-and why they are intent on killing someone every three days. Even more terrifying, the killer has targeted one of the four friends who call themselves the Women's Murder Club. Which one will it be? While the investigation rages furiously, Lindsay works very closely with a federal officer assigned to the case. At the same time, she learns that one member of the Women's Murder Club is hiding a secret so dangerous and unbelievable that it could destroy them all
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by dudette I've just finished the No1 Ladies Detective Agency and throughly enjoyed it. How about we start a discussion on that one, seeing as others have already read it? [/B]

Tha sounds like a good idea....so who all has read it, and wants to discuss it?
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Whoever told you James Patterson is gory? He write mostly about a cop trying to cath serial killers. People may die, but he does not "do" gory..... Some of his book are even love strories....

Seriously, while he does write "crime" stories, he is really not gory at all. While he might not be to everyone's tastes, he is a good author (but so are many, many, MANY others Big Grin ).

Really, I am very keen to be a part of this book club, I just think it is going to be really difficult to get us all to agree on a title/author, but I thought the whole point of this (well, for me anyway) was to get peope to branch out and try something new....

sounds good....Smile

...i did not say i disliked gory stories...i have read lots of petterson books and i quite enjoy reading them...

.just quoting others.

as i said in the beginning, feel free to discuss any book...read it and discuss it..u never know who has read it and will join in the discussion...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
Tha sounds like a good idea....so who all has read it, and wants to discuss it?

Sorry I will sit this one out, as I have not yet read it....but go ahead and chat I will "listen" in as I am curious to see what the book is like Wink
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
Nikkinaz - the Gardening at Night book is still on order - Amazon seems to take a very long time to deliver to Ireland (3 weeks and counting...).

As to the way the bookclub should go - you will never get everybody to agree to read any one book, all you need is two or more to read and start a discussion - even if people do not post you may find that your commentary on a particular book will inspire them to go out and buy it.

My personal interest leads well away from crime, horror, etc. Most books I read tend to be educational in some shape or form and are thus probably not suitable for a book club - most people would not want to read a how to manual or a cookbook from cover to cover.

When a book happens along that I would like to read (like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency - if only because of its setting) I will try and get my hands on a copy.

I am sorry if my silence and that of others has caused unintended offence, but a) I am at work and not actually online that much and b) frequent about 4 sites in rotation so do not get around to GB enough to be classed as a regular poster.
Your silence is understood Big Grin

Well I have decided to finish off the book I am reading at the moment ! And then will start the James Patterson as I have never read any of his and I have not read a thriller for a while...!

My last 3 books were Gardening at Night, then onto To Know a Woman by Amos Oz and now I am reading Ethan Hawkes - Ash Wednesday .... only a third of the way through.

Actually there are a lot of books on the favourite authors list which I do not mind reading at all - love Mary Higgins Clark.

The more that you read,

-Dr Seuss-
Alas I looked on our website at our local libraries for the Jim Kelly book and the only one they have by him is The water clock - hopefully they can find me a copy of The fire baby. I do not really want to buy anymore books cause we have 3 bookshelves with over 500 books (this is a lot !!!!) :eek: So I am careful what to buy as .... also have spent a little too much at amazon lately...! :confused: Yeah right, NEVER !!! I shall never spend too much at amazon.... Big Grin

The more that you read,

-Dr Seuss-
Quote:Originally posted by nikkinaz
Hi there

Brainstorming is fine, but considering when I first suggested the book club on VS so many folks were interested. Now when a few books are put up we do not get any takers nor any comments....no one really seems to bother much in saying yes or no or even suggesting a book.... I might have suggested an odd book previously - fine!, but I wish people would say NO I do not want to read that but perhaps this, instead the book club stays untouched for a few days...!

I will read both of these books no problem, but perhaps we should settle on ONE ... and a few replies would be nice. I am not too sure if the "club" will ever get to read a book and talk about it.

Do not fret love, it is getting there, i got a few more ideas in plan now....so it will slowly grow Smile