Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parenting books
Which books helped you through your children's first years? Back in SA, My book by Marina Petropoulos (Can't remember it's name) was my bible, and she helped me through many a troublesome period! What about yours?
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Which books helped you through your children's first years? Back in SA, My book by Marina Petropoulos (Can't remember it's name) was my bible, and she helped me through many a troublesome period! What about yours?

was it the baby and Child Care Handbook, if it was, then that was my bible too....helped me thru dozens of crisis's....Smile

very good book!!Wink
Gina Fords "contented little baby book" saved my sanity Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet
Gina Fords "contented little baby book" saved my sanity Smile

strange they had a write up this week in the Mail about Ford's and Leach's book....and most ppl did not like Ford's approach to babies, they said they were most unsatisfied with her methods...as she was too strict with routine routine...did u find that Jemlet??

I must say i used mostly instinct, if my child was hungry i fed him on demand, i did not have a set routine - and he was a happy child...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
was it the baby and Child Care Handbook, if it was, then that was my bible too....helped me thru dozens of crisis's....Smile

very good book!!Wink

Yes, I think it was that. It cost me about R54! :eek:
I winged it with my first as well...

fed him when hungry, let him sleep till he woke up etc.. And like Cubby he was a very happy toddler...

I dont plan on doing anything different with this one. Big Grin

Sometimes just following ones natural built in motherhood instinct is best. I believe that although books can tell you a lot of stuff, there are no golden rules when it comes to raising children..
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
I didn't have a book either, did it all on instinct aswell, worked great for me with both my girls.
I've recently bought "Toddler Taming" by Dr Christopher Green - it's brilliant! He offers lots of good sensible advice & writes with fantastic humour. I've now almost read it from cover to cover & have thoroughly enjoyed it & learnt a lot.
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
ISn't that the one where he says somthing about you drawing the line that they may NOT cross in the sand and then your little one puts his/her pink toe over it? I loved that analogy! :haha:

I read it years ago, and might just get it out again Smile
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
ISn't that the one where he says somthing about you drawing the line that they may NOT cross in the sand and then your little one puts his/her pink toe over it? I loved that analogy! :haha:

I read it years ago, and might just get it out again Smile

I don't recall that particular bit, but it does sound like him! :haha:
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  inherited parenting practices & old wives tales Piglet 21 12,076 21-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Piglet
  Books, videos, and old times for kids!!! Icecub 8 6,628 16-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Last Post: squeaky