Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inherited parenting practices & old wives tales
My family always believed that giving Rooibos to babies and children is good for them. So naturally with my children I have carried the same practice. Obilivious as to the sceintific rationale. It was always a case of the kids like it so why not. It has come to the surface in the the scientific world as to the remarkable benefits of rooibos. Medical researchers state that they only have touch the 'iceburg' with regards to its benefits. The existing benefits seems quite impressive already Big Grin see link below.

http://www.newlands.ca/Rooibos%20Information.htm

So the moral of the story me thinks is we should not be to quick to shun old parenting practices or old wives talesBig Grin The other moral of the Story is South African's are really brilliant!!!!!
there are loads of old wives tales that dont make any sense.but ppl that have had kids know what works. science is revealing so much more. but i had a great childhood and upbringing through the "old fashioned way" of doing things.

if these practises have worked for decades, why not use them?
Quote:Originally posted by squeaky

if these practises have worked for decades, why not use them?

True ,true!
Unfortunitely it seems in today society there is this modern academic pride. We need to follow what the 'experts' tells us which is printed in some book. Needless to say most of them don't even have children. Alot of the parenting practices has been past on from parent to child. And although some may have been harmful even with some good intentions alot of the practices are very good but just don't have the official ' backing' of the current academics and 'experts'.
My kids lived on Rooibos until they were around three. It is all they drank (well, that and water). I think it is great stuff!!!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
My kids lived on Rooibos until they were around three. It is all they drank (well, that and water). I think it is great stuff!!!

Big Grin Well now the scientific world think its great stuff too! Big Grin
I have always know rooibos has very many good properties but ooh the taste is just so vile. I also must project my dislike of the stuff to my children as they refuse to drink a rooibos bottle. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet
I have always know rooibos has very many good properties but ooh the taste is just so vile. Smile

Have you tried it with honey and lemon?

Alternatively ( this is only for you) there is a recipe in the recipe section in the link above of gluwein sp or mulled wine .Big Grin which should help with getting some rooibos in.
I also can't abide the taste of Rooibos. I categorise it with Marmite for utter foulness. Sick

Sorry to all those who love either or both of these products. Wink
In the community we grew up in, parents did not believe in giving young children 'hard' medicine unless they were really ill. For kids under the age of about 7, homeopathic remedies were the norm. Very enlightened for 26 years ago, I would say. Even now, back home the neighbours are very young, and have their own kids, and grew up in that town, and they follow the same practise. People that would normally scoff at the suggestion of using homeopathic remedies on adults swear by it for children. Funny one eh?
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I also can't abide the taste of Rooibos. I categorise it with Marmite for utter foulness. Sick

Sorry to all those who love either or both of these products. Wink

hehe you excused Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Parenting books dudette 11 7,725 13-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Icecub
  Old wives tales!!!!!!!! sue w 31 15,291 25-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Venus