Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring preparations
So, now that the days are visibly longer and the weather marginally warmer, how are your gardens coming along?

I managed to get my pruning done in early February (thanks to a cold spell nothing had sprouted yet) so the apple trees are ready to go.

I planted up my selection of tomatoes, aubergines, chillies and herbs for this year on St. Patrick's Day, and some of the seedlings are already popping their heads above the soil.

Have not yet decided what flowers to grow for the summer - any suggestions anyone?
Bushbaby Wrote:Have not yet decided what flowers to grow for the summer - any suggestions anyone?

You definately have to go for sweetpeas Wink
I've ordered some heritage sweetpeas - all big and strongly scented - as well as a range of other bedding plants, almost all of which are scented. It will give a range of heights and focal points to the garden as they grow from ground level up to five and a half feet - perfect for the front garden. Also, most of the flowers are attractive to either bees or hoverflies, so am doing my bit for the local wildlife as well.

Got a trailing viola as well, so that will go into the hanging basket along with the multicoloured black-eyed susans.
Bushbaby Wrote:I've ordered some heritage sweetpeas - all big and strongly scented - as well as a range of other bedding plants, almost all of which are scented. It will give a range of heights and focal points to the garden as they grow from ground level up to five and a half feet - perfect for the front garden. Also, most of the flowers are attractive to either bees or hoverflies, so am doing my bit for the local wildlife as well.

Got a trailing viola as well, so that will go into the hanging basket along with the multicoloured black-eyed susans.

Looking forward to see your photo's later in the year!

I so love the smell and the colours of sweetpeas! Unfortunately I am going up to Scotland for almost 8 weeks this year and will only be back in June. I always work hard to get going with a garden the first week I am back.

Enjoy the planning and planting Bushbaby!

:daisy:
Pronkertjie Wrote:Looking forward to see your photo's later in the year!

I so love the smell and the colours of sweetpeas! Unfortunately I am going up to Scotland for almost 8 weeks this year and will only be back in June. I always work hard to get going with a garden the first week I am back.

Enjoy the planning and planting Bushbaby!

:daisy:

That is what happened to me last year - the move to the new house took place in mid-spring, so it was difficult to get things established, and to keep what I had already planted alive (they really seemed to hate being moved).

Well, exactly a week after I planted them, three quarters of the tomatoes are up, a third of the eggplants, and one chilli (out of seven varieties being trialed this year). Of the herbs only the tarragon has sprouted and I am thinking of moving those seed trays from the greenhouse(unheated) to the hot press to get them going.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spring Flowers Bushbaby 6 3,721 27-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  Gearing up for Spring Bushbaby 2 2,806 11-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby