Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travelling with children
For all of you with kids, whatever the age, what do you do to keep your kids entertained on long journeys?
Tomorrow I'll be travellign 3 hours to get to the braai, and wondered if you had some tips.

I've got a book on travel games and here are a few that I liked the most... (approximate age of children in brackets)

Spotting games;
Spot the dot (3+)- Ask your child to hide his eyes while you stick a small dot somewhere nearby, such as on the car dashboard. Then tell him to open his eyes and see if he can spot the dot.

Road Signs(4+) - See how many road signs you can spot, and ask your children if they can identify what they mean. To make itmore fun, they could think of alternative meanings for the signs.

Lucky Numbers (5+) Each child chooses a number from zero to nine as a lucky number, and then has to look out for it on the number plates of parked cars, winning a point for each one.

Musical Games
Songs like;
ABC Alphabet song
One two buckle my shoe,
Ten green bottles,
Incy Wincy Spider
One man went to mow
If you're happy and you know it

Fast and slow songs - Choose a song that everyone in your family knows well, but don't let on what it is. Then sing it at top speed to see if your children can identify it. Alternatively sing as low, high or slow as you can.

Mind the gap - Pick a song that your children know the words to and sing it, leaving a pause at the end of each line so that they can fill in teh missing word. Or you could adapt this as a 'spot what's wrong in the song' game, singing, for exammple, 'Humpty Dumpty sat on a chair' or Jack and Jill went up the mountain'.

The book is called Travel Games, by Jane Kemp and Clare Walters.
:eek: sounds far too complicated. I am using the 'shaddup or you won't get sweets' game Wink
Firstly how old are your children. When ours were a bit older they use to love to draw, but only a pencil (blunt) and pad of paper because wax crayons damage seats and so do pens, for younger ones noisy toys, push button and a noise is made, but these toys can drive you up the wall after a while. We still play I spy (mine are 15 and 12 yrs) and sing. Favourite song when they were little was Old McDonald had a Farm.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the braai.
I dont personally have kids myself but if I am travelling with my nices and they are moaning I try and get their attention by saying: "who can spot a yellow car" or something like that. i also have a small thing of sweets handy, too as that always helps although it isnt good all the time....
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger Big Grin
Dudette, Luckily my son keeps himself amused...so he going with his sketchpad as he loves drawing and his gameboy......Smile

He has just asked me if your son is bringing his cards...remind him to bring them as he has packed his in now...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by chickie
..... i also have a small thing of sweets handy, too as that always helps although it isnt good all the time....
hope you have the barf bag ready too..... Big Grin
Thanks, cubbie. Will definitely do that.

See you soon Smile
When I was a kid, we used to play "cricket" in the car.

If a car comes past, you get 1 run.

A Bakkie, 2 runs.

A bus 4 runs.

A truck 6 runs.

And if the approaching car is a VW, then you're out.

It seems pretty simple but it kept us entertained for hours. Simple creatures, my siblings and I...
just been to the school to fetch my son, been vomitting...Sad at present he is downstairs eating crisps and watching telly....so hopefully he will be okay....Sad
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
just been to the school to fetch my son, been vomitting...Sad at present he is downstairs eating crisps and watching telly....so hopefully he will be okay....Sad
hmm... amazing how things like this crop up. Mine has got tonsillitis and I practically had to demand antibiotics today. Doc wanted him to get better naturally... Rolleyes

Also holding thumbs for tomorrow......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 tips to surviving the holidays with children dudette 5 5,085 23-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gwasi
  Travelling with kids dudette 1 4,436 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Last Post: dudette
  Children & Emigration Venus 13 8,326 30-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Ameniatha
  Children!! Cali 5 4,540 20-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Cali
  Children are so quick.... Pronkertjie 1 3,707 28-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Last Post: penelope
  The questions children ask TheDuck 16 8,302 14-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Venus
  What benefits am I entitled to in the UK with children mcamp999 3 7,498 28-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Helaina
  Teaching our children Afrikaans dudette 6 6,694 26-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Last Post: hantam
  Stereotypes and children Cali 8 5,648 04-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Cali
  Famous children's stories Curio 11 7,357 22-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Almitra