Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetable Gardening
Hi Folks,

Being an avid vegetable gardener, I have planned my gardening for the next three years (give or take) to take into account the different types of plants I want to try and bearing proper crop rotation in mind.

Listed below are the plants that I will be growing during the course of this and the next two years (all organic and selected for the damper climate we get here).

I don't know how many of you enjoy growing your own food, but if you do, don't let a small garden deter you - I am making use of my backyard, the neighbour's backyard, a friends place, and whatever unused patches I can find at work.

In the UK you are blessed with allotments - make use of them!

If anyone is interested in trying out some of the veggies, herbs or fruits listed here, please send me a PM as I mostly have more than enough seed to share (Cubbie, your chillies are almost ready to post).

The list:

Roots, Tubers and Rhizomes:

Japanese Burdock
Salsify
Scorzonera
Parsnip
Skirret
Carrot
Florence Fennel
Swede
Turnip
Celeriac
Beetroot
Jerusalem Artichoke

Alliums:

Spring Onion
Onion
Leek

Legumes:

Asparagus Pea
Snap Pea
Climbing French Bean
Runner Bean
French Beans: Pole
French Beans: Bush
Broad Bean

Leaf Greens, Herbs, Brassicas:

Cima di Rapa
Brussel Sprout
Savoy Cabbage
Broccoli
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Calabrese
Cauliflower
Kohl Rabi
Green Perilla
Red Perilla
Quillquina
Papalo
Mixed Leaf Amaranth
Kerala Red Amaranth
Huauzontli
Liscari sativa
Erbette
Perpetual Spinach
Swiss Chard
Strawberry Spinach

Cucurbitae:

Butternut Squash
Cobnut Squash
Gemsquash
Cucumber
West Indian Gherkin
Carosello Di Polignano

The rest:

Aubergine
Tomatoes
Tomatillo
Melon
Alpine Strawberry
Strawberry
Chlli Peppers
I think i am going to do my veggie shopping at BB's house....SmileSmile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
I think i am going to do my veggie shopping at BB's house....SmileSmile

You're always welcome here Big Grin

At the moment I have a refrigerator full of kale, leeks, herbs and tofu (obviously not home grown Smile ). Good vegetables are a real pleasure to eat. The mass produced flavourless stuff can turn you off veggies for life.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
You're always welcome here Big Grin

At the moment I have a refrigerator full of kale, leeks, herbs and tofu (obviously not home grown Smile ). Good vegetables are a real pleasure to eat. The mass produced flavourless stuff can turn you off veggies for life.

Ta BB....will descend soon on that fridge..!!

I have been intrigued by tofu.....what is that and what does it taste like????Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
Ta BB....will descend soon on that fridge..!!

I have been intrigued by tofu.....what is that and what does it taste like????Big Grin

Tofu is essentially soya bean curd. It is a processed product that takes the place of meat protein in vegetarian dishes. Basically it tastes of anything you cook it with. You can marinade it in a meat stock if you want for a meaty flavour, or marinade in just about anything else for flavour. It is very nice and the firmer types have a great texture too - you can even use it for kebabs on the braai.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Tofu is essentially soya bean curd. It is a processed product that takes the place of meat protein in vegetarian dishes. Basically it tastes of anything you cook it with. You can marinade it in a meat stock if you want for a meaty flavour, or marinade in just about anything else for flavour. It is very nice and the firmer types have a great texture too - you can even use it for kebabs on the braai.

okay thanks BB....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardening and Heritage Societies Bushbaby 5 3,647 16-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Joan
  Squarefoot Gardening Bushbaby 0 3,957 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: