Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
teething
Quote:Originally posted by eteechah
That your children are ok does not detract from the fact that salt can and does kill thousands of babies a year - to advise someone to give
salted biltong to a baby is really silly. How would you feel if you did that and their child died as a result?

There may be no ill effects, but do you really want to take that gamble?

When quite a few children are brought up on biltong and no problems have arisen then I don't foresee a problem. This is the 1st time I have ever heard that babies should not have salt, funny all our friends and family have given salt to their babies and nothing has happened. I would never give advise to anyone that would put a baby/child in danager. I think to much stating of 'this and that' is bad for a baby/child and that is why today there are so many children that have all sorts of allergies. I think if a baby/child if fed good wholesome milk, food and sufficient water then there is no problems. Well that is the way I brought my children up and many of my family and friends, the way we were brought up in the old days!!!

In closing the bottom line is this - one can give advice to another, whether they take it is up to them
Info from the Food Standards Agency in the UK:
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthie...t/saltfaq/

How much salt should children be having?

The maximum amount of salt babies and children should be having varies by age:

* Up to 6 months old – less than 1 g a day

* 7 to 12 months – 1 g a day

* 1 to 3 years – 2 g a day

* 4 to 6 years – 3 g a day

* 7 to 10 years – 5 g a day

From the age of 11, children should be having no more than about 6 g a day. This is the same level that is recommended for adults.

Here are some suggestions to help you make sure your child doesnÂ’t have too much salt.

Babies

If youÂ’re breastfeeding, your baby will be getting the right amount of salt. And infant formula contains a similar amount of salt to breast milk.

When you start introducing solid foods, remember the following:

* Don't add salt to any foods you give to young babies because their kidneys can't cope with it. The baby foods you'll find on sale aren't allowed to contain salt.
* Limit how much you let your baby eat of foods that are high in salt, such as cheese, sausages and bacon.
* Avoid giving your baby any processed foods that arenÂ’t made specifically for babies such as pasta sauces and breakfast cereals, because these are high in salt.
Thank you for the above table. If we all had to listen and do everything that we read or hear then I think most of us would have lost our minds many times over!!! Everything nowadays is so clinical and I feel that is why babies/childrens bodies are unable to fight any bugs that are around. Think of the things we ate as children and did we get sick - never!
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
When quite a few children are brought up on biltong and no problems have arisen then I don't foresee a problem. This is the 1st time I have ever heard that babies should not have salt, funny all our friends and family have given salt to their babies and nothing has happened. I would never give advise to anyone that would put a baby/child in danager. I think to much stating of 'this and that' is bad for a baby/child and that is why today there are so many children that have all sorts of allergies. I think if a baby/child if fed good wholesome milk, food and sufficient water then there is no problems. Well that is the way I brought my children up and many of my family and friends, the way we were brought up in the old days!!!

In closing the bottom line is this - one can give advice to another, whether they take it is up to them

I agree. I am aware of the fact that too much salt (even for an adult) is no good, but my kids had biltong every now and then as babies, and they are fine!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi

New research has come to light in the last 10 years or so that has proved salt to be bad for kids.

At one stage asbestos was considered safe, doctors used to Xray your entire body every time you visited them, thalidomide was considered to be a safe sleeping pill. All of these things mentioned are now known to be very very bad. Just because something *used* to me considered safe, does not always mean that new research should be totally disregarded.

We all grew up with Aspirin as the only painkiller, but you are now banned by law from giving aspirin to a child under 12 years of age, due to recent discoveries linking it to a fatal condition in children. Is it so hard to believe that excess salt in a babies diet can kill? (and lets face it, the average baby is going to consume far more convenience foods than we did while growing up, and as we all know, these convenience food contain huge quatities of salt. This means there is even less tolerance in a modern babies diet for chewing salty biltong)
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
I agree. I am aware of the fact that too much salt (even for an adult) is no good, but my kids had biltong every now and then as babies, and they are fine!

So it's ok to advise a dangerous practise to new parents, just "because thats the way we used to do it"? Rolleyes
New research has come to light in the last 10 years or so that has proved salt to be bad for kids.

At one stage asbestos was considered safe, doctors used to Xray your entire body every time you visited them, thalidomide was considered to be a safe sleeping pill. All of these things mentioned are now known to be very very bad. Just because something *used* to me considered safe, does not always mean that new research should be totally disregarded.

We all grew up with Aspirin as the only painkiller, but you are now banned by law from giving aspirin to a child under 12 years of age, due to recent discoveries linking it to a fatal condition in children. Is it so hard to believe that excess salt in a babies diet can kill? (and lets face it, the average baby is going to consume far more convenience foods than we did while growing up, and as we all know, these convenience food contain huge quatities of salt. This means there is even less tolerance in a modern babies diet for chewing salty biltong)

Well we even use to put salt in our childrens food, because food without salt is awful and my moto is 'if I can't eat it then how could I expect my children to eat it'.

I agree with asbestos and thalidomide, yeah they did think both were great and they weren't but as I said previously to much emphasis is put onto everything and what is actually happening is children today are becoming weaker.
So it's ok to advise a dangerous practise to new parents, just "because thats the way we used to do it"? Rolleyes

Why do the words "box" "pencil" "not" "the" "sharpest" "the" "in" spring to mind? Big Grin

Just because I disagree with you gives you no right to insult me.

I have said that I understand salt is not good in excess, but that my kids were brought up a specific way, and they are fine. Does not mean I was shoveling fistfuls of salt into their mouths. I am also aware of the fact that things are bing discovered all the time that are bad for us, and have been "linked" to illnesses. So tell me, since you are such an expert, what else is there that I have been poisoning my kids with?
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
Just because I disagree with you gives you no right to insult me.

I have said that I understand salt is not good in excess, but that my kids were brought up a specific way, and they are fine. Does not mean I was shoveling fistfuls of salt into their mouths. I am also aware of the fact that things are bing discovered all the time that are bad for us, and have been "linked" to illnesses. So tell me, since you are such an expert, what else is there that I have been poisoning my kids with?

Hear Hear - please let us know

True, but then someone needs to come one and point out when the advise given may not be as safe as stated, just to be able to give that person the informed choice. Otherwise, if I kept quiet, I'd be as guilty , morally speaking, as the person advising the unsafe practises in the first place - should anything bad happen. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teething sooibrand 2 3,502 18-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Last Post: dudette