Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of visa for a relative?????
lols Wrote:Unfortunatly John when we looked into it and spoke to the British High Commisson in SA a few years ago they said it would not be possible. She did show them her "British Passport". Do you know what this process is and would it be worth while looking into it! I do know that she could go down the ancestral route but there are complications and age unfortunatly is against her.

PM me with some info.

Date and place of her parents births and their nationality status at the time of your mothers birth.
Date and place of your Mothers birth. (I will keep it a secret Smile)
The exact description in Mothers passport of her status.
(i.e. British protected subject, British Overseas Citizen, etc.)
What is her current nationality?

For instance, if your Mom held a British passport prior to the 1982 Nationality Act and one of her grandparents was born in the UK, she will have acquired partiality along with right of abode. In that situation, at midnight when the 1982 act came into force, her nationality would have been upgraded to British citizen. However it is impossible to be sure without the facts.

Remember that I am only a law student and have no legal qualifications. I will also comment that I have heard that the JHB consul is not the most helpful and one would not expect a consul to be able to advice on a non straightforward situation. Did they refer your moms enquiry to the London Home Office?
sorry to but in, how does one go about trying to get all these certificates.
still trying to figure out how to get my little sis here. We have found out though that g-father on father side supposedly born in sussex/essex ( father getting on a bit and can't quite remember)
ta
southeaster Wrote:sorry to but in, how does one go about trying to get all these certificates.
still trying to figure out how to get my little sis here. We have found out though that g-father on father side supposedly born in sussex/essex ( father getting on a bit and can't quite remember)
ta

Is this your grandfather or your father's grandfather?
Is this your grandfather or your father's grandfather? If it is yours and your sister's grandfather and you can prove direct lineage, your sister can get an ancestral visa for 5 years. Not sure if it is a 2 + 3 year period though. You will need to get a copy of his birth certificate in the UK, your father's birth certificate etc etc.
southeaster Wrote:sorry to but in, how does one go about trying to get all these certificates.
ta

No, its me that should be sorry for grabbing your thread.
As Kimbo points out, a grandparent born in the UK opens the way to an ancestral visa; a great way for your sis to come here. It is now granted for an initial 3 years, then on application, a further 2 years, however this route still leads to indefinite leave to remain and eventually British Citizenship.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancestry visa may be removed John01 0 5,219 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Visa Help? Bean of Love 0 3,300 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  spouse visa Heather.T 0 3,861 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Spouse Visa Confusion popeye 0 4,014 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Working holiday visa question catzz220 0 3,659 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: