Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another book for June ?
Any suggestions or will we wait until July ?
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
Dunno about you - but I am getting the new Marian Keyes book!!! Big Grin Who's turn is it to post up a list??
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
What about something written by Douglas Kennedy. His books are absolutely amazing - it is just about everyday life but the characters stay with you long after you have finised the book. I've read "The persuit of Happiness" but would love to read some of his other books.
I still love chocolate.
i have compiled a few new books....will put up tomorrow...Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Surita
What about something written by Douglas Kennedy. His books are absolutely amazing - it is just about everyday life but the characters stay with you long after you have finised the book. I've read "The persuit of Happiness" but would love to read some of his other books.

Why not choose one, put up the blurb, and we'll choose from among the list of books. Even if we don't choose it this month, we might still choose it another month ... remember the Da Vinci Code?
Smile
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Why not choose one, put up the blurb, and we'll choose from among the list of books. Even if we don't choose it this month, we might still choose it another month ... remember the Da Vinci Code?
Smile

Good idea...Wink
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
These are my suggestions, feel free to add some more...

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

An extremely sexy and engrossing read, this book tells the tale of one of the most enthralling love affairs in the history of literature—it truly was the "Harlequin Romance" of its day. Penned while Tolstoy was wrestling with a religious crisis that nearly destroyed him, the book is filled with passion and soul-searching. Serialized in the Russian Herald from 1875–1877 and published in its entirety in 1878, Anna Karenina was wildly popular and controversial. And even though Count Leo Tolstoy had been writing fiction for more than two decades and had already published War and Peace when he undertook Anna Karenina, the author called it "the first novel I have written."
Blood Is Thicker Than Water
From its very first provocative line the novel sucks you in: "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." This is a novel about something everyone can relate to: family. The two main characters, Anna and Levin, are eventually linked through marriage—Anna is Levin's sister-in-law's sister-in-law. Through the Oblonskys, Karenins, Levins and Shcherbatskys, we come to understand the complexities of family relationships. We appreciate the ties that bind human beings together in an awareness of the fragility of life. The intricacies of love and relatedness are explored in some of the greatest depth of any novel written before or since. To understand the need for love is to understand what drives Anna Karenina—both the character and the novel.

It's Not As Foreign As You Think
Of all the Russian novels written during the 19th-century, Anna Karenina is perhaps the most taught in college literature courses. Even so, over the years it has grown in stature to nearly mythical proportions as one of the most challenging novels to read. To give Tolstoy credit, this is a complicated, rich story with many layers and much to digest. However, it is also a lot of fun. The characters are well realized and in most cases very approachable. Their experiences, from Stiva's infidelity to Levin's firstborn child, are not so far from our modern-day understanding of life and the world. Tolstoy's prose is generous, giving its reader many ways to interpret it and a lot to consider. Once you've finished Anna Karenina, you'll not only be proud of your accomplishment, but also realize how rewarding a great summer read like this can be! As Oprah says: "Don't be scared. We will do this together."

Courtesans by Katie Hickman

The dictionary defines a courtesan as "a prostitute, or the mistress of a man of rank". However, this is scarcely an adequate description of the five women who light up the pages of this irresistable and seductive book. They were courted for their sexual prowess by powerful men in the 18th and 19th centuries, but their appeal went far beyond the pleasures of the flesh. They were fashion leaders, musicians, liguists and witty conversationalists who rose from lowly beginnings to positions of wealth and influence. Men would ruin themselves to gain their favours.
I will probably go for Courtesans, as the last Tolstoy book I read (War and Peace) was officially the worst book (and the hardest) I have ever read......

Courtesans sounds really good!!

I also just bought the new Marian Keyes book, which I am going to start today! :thumbs:

Surita, I will have a look around for some books by Douglas Kennedy!Wink
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub

[b]Courtesans by Katie Hickman

The dictionary defines a courtesan as "a prostitute, or the mistress of a man of rank". However, this is scarcely an adequate description of the five women who light up the pages of this irresistable and seductive book. They were courted for their sexual prowess by powerful men in the 18th and 19th centuries, but their appeal went far beyond the pleasures of the flesh. They were fashion leaders, musicians, liguists and witty conversationalists who rose from lowly beginnings to positions of wealth and influence. Men would ruin themselves to gain their favours. [/B]

this sounds good
Smile
Ohh please not Tolstoy - after a whole day's work I really just want to read for relaxation and Tolstoy sounds like way way way too much work. I'll fall asleep within 2 minutes of starting it. I could not even read "A tale of two cities" because I just could not concentrate on it, especially with the TV going in the background.
I still love chocolate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mary Higgins Clark - a new book nikkinaz 1 3,503 21-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jangar
  Got a book, want to swap .... nikkinaz 4 4,131 18-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Pronkertjie
  So what book are you looking forward to reading next ? nikkinaz 5 4,698 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Last Post: nikkinaz
  Richard and Judy's new book list for 2005! nikkinaz 8 5,029 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  Another Pelzer book.... nikkinaz 1 3,553 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
  Which book ? .... nikkinaz 17 8,177 03-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Avo
  Cannot find a book....... nikkinaz 0 3,341 16-08-2004, 07:05 PM
  Book Discussion - The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agence dudette 11 7,272 01-07-2004, 05:50 AM
  Book Genres dudette 3 4,014 01-06-2004, 09:44 PM
  Book and habits nikkinaz 7 5,088 01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby