Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another book for June ?
Quote:Originally posted by Surita
Ohh please not Tolstoy - after a whole day's work I really just want to read for relaxation and Tolstoy sounds like way way way too much work. I'll fall asleep within 2 minutes of starting it. I could not even read "A tale of two cities" because I just could not concentrate on it, especially with the TV going in the background.

u need not read it, you can read whatever takes your fancy..Smile i have never read a Tolstoy book but would like to try one...Wink
I would also go with Courtesans by Katie Hickman, not really in the mood for a depressing book such as Anna Karenina...perhaps later in the month when I have finished all my other books.. I do have a copy so maybe it is an idea to FINALLY read it. It is the summer read for Oprah :2cents:

Speaking of Marian Keyes she has a free book with one of the magazines, so if you buy Company you end up with a free book - Angels. Just in case anyone is interested.

I shall start another one in my huge pile until the next book is chosen for us to read. :p
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
Anna Karenina and War and Peace are deinitely on my To-Do list, but for one of those times when I have lots and lots of time on my hands and no distractions. Not for the moment. Smile
I thought I would add as Icecub suggested a few more titles to choose (that is if we have not chosen already ??) - perhaps we could make this the July book instead of June! (As I am sure a lot of folks are reading their own books).

Blessed are the Cheesemakers - Sarah Kate Lynch
Synopsis
Blessed are Corrie and Fee, for theirs is the kingdom of the world's tastiest farmhouse cheese. Tucked away in a corner of Ireland, the lifelong friends turn out batch after batch of perfect Coolarney Blues and Golds, thanks to co-operative cows, non-meat-eating fecund milkmaids, and the wind blowing just so in the right direction. Add to this mixture Corrie's long-lost granddaughter Abbey, fresh from a remote but by no means backward island where her husband has been on a mission - although not quite the kind which Abbey had imagined. And stir in New Yorker Kit Stephens, heart-broken, burned-out and permanently hungover, and you have a recipe for disaster. The magic that Corrie and Fee weave in and out of the cheese vats is legendary, but can they use their powers to turn bitterness and betrayal into love - or will the secret ingredient be lost to Coolarney cheese forever?
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Synopsis
Lily has grown up believing she accidentally killed her mother when she was four. She not only has her own memory of holding the gun, but her father's account of the event. Now fourteen, she yeams for her mother, and for forgiveness. Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her father, she has only one friend: Rosaleen, a black servant whose sharp exterior hides a tender heart. South Carolina in the sixties is a place where segregation is still considered a cause worth fighting for. When racial tension explodes one summer afternoon, and Rosaleen is arrested and beaten, Lily is compelled to act. Fugitives from justice and from Lily's harsh and unyielding father, they follow a trail left by the woman who died ten years before. Finding sanctuary in the home of three beekeeping sisters, Lily starts a journey as much about her understanding of the world, as about the mystery surrounding her mother.
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Oprah's Book Club) - by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Synopsis
From the moment Melquiades the Gypsy walks into the jungle settlement of Macondo nothing is ever the same again. He brings to this protected Eden knowledge and the tools of discovery. This is a modern parable told without moralizing, its strength lying in its ability to make us laugh in sympathy.
Book Description
One of the 20th century's enduring works, One Hundred Years of Solitude is a widely beloved and acclaimed novel known throughout the world, and the ultimate achievement in a Nobel Prize–winning career.
The novel tells the story of the rise and fall of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendía family. It is a rich and brilliant chronicle of life and death, and the tragicomedy of humankind. In the noble, ridiculous, beautiful, and tawdry story of the Buendía family, one sees all of humanity, just as in the history, myths, growth, and decay of Macondo, one sees all of Latin America.
Love and lust, war and revolution, riches and poverty, youth and senility -- the variety of life, the endlessness of death, the search for peace and truth -- these universal themes dominate the novel. Whether he is describing an affair of passion or the voracity of capitalism and the corruption of government, Gabriel García Márquez always writes with the simplicity, ease, and purity that are the mark of a master.
Alternately reverential and comical, One Hundred Years of Solitude weaves the political, personal, and spiritual to bring a new consciousness to storytelling. Translated into dozens of languages, this stunning work is no less than an accounting of the history of the human race.
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
That is fine Nikki, i have not had time to deal with getting any new books as i am busy running around getting things ready for our trips etc....:thumbs: and also want to buy some new books to take with...

Those books listed here sound lovely - go ahead folks and read what takes your fancy...

We would like to know what you thought of each book - can you also rate them for us - from ***** to * :thumbs:
I recently tried a new author - PJ Tracey. Brilliant! It's actually a mother and daughter who write under the name. The name of the book was called 'Want to Play?' and I couldn't put it down!

http://www.murderandmayhembookclub.com/want_to.html

I am hoping to lay my hands on their new boof - 'Live Bait' soon
Oooh, that sounds good, Mz!!!!!! Definitely will look out for it - it looks like the type of book I really enjoy!!! Big Grin
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mary Higgins Clark - a new book nikkinaz 1 3,502 21-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jangar
  Got a book, want to swap .... nikkinaz 4 4,131 18-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Pronkertjie
  So what book are you looking forward to reading next ? nikkinaz 5 4,698 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Last Post: nikkinaz
  Richard and Judy's new book list for 2005! nikkinaz 8 5,028 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  Another Pelzer book.... nikkinaz 1 3,553 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
  Which book ? .... nikkinaz 17 8,176 03-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Avo
  Cannot find a book....... nikkinaz 0 3,341 16-08-2004, 07:05 PM
  Book Discussion - The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agence dudette 11 7,271 01-07-2004, 05:50 AM
  Book Genres dudette 3 4,013 01-06-2004, 09:44 PM
  Book and habits nikkinaz 7 5,088 01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby