Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins diet
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
Gee, and I remember a certain someone disagreeing with me back in the mists of time when I suggested it was too expensive to become a long term solution. Rolleyes

Big Grin

Yeah, but back then pricing was still reasonable. Try living in a country with our level of inflation. My groceries have gone from 30 to over 50 euro a week for the basics. We have gone from 8th most expensive to 1st most expensive country in the Eurozone, but wages have not kept pace with price increases. At the time I managed well, now I support two people, not just one, and at double the cost, with prices heavily increased, it has become impossible to maintain that lifestyle.

Give you an idea - two chicken breasts cost 8 euro now, where before they were just under 4 euro. Major increase in just under a year.
Quote:Originally posted by birdie
Did you not find the odours that omes with it a bit....:eek:

I drank a heck of a lot of water, and did not develop the odour problem.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I see the those who advocated this diet in escpecially the US of A are now warning that the fat content of this diet may be far too high and that this diet poses serious health threats.
Although the original author has passed away, this thriving "business" is very worried about claims regarding the suffering of ill health after following this diet.

i followed this diet, along with injections and syrup, had the injections once a week, took the syrup three times a day... lost my weight went down to 54kgs... Big Grin

happy happy - ya lank!!!

i'm still the same shape as i was when i was overseas, and i feel fat still... its gonna take a while to 'tone' down as the body fat percentage goes up and quickly on this diet!

if you wanna lose weight quick then its the diet for you.. but you lose muscle rather than fat :bigcry:

hi-ho hi-ho its off to gym i go!!! :bigcry:
Show me your monkey!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Joan you were right. There are people here who's doctors had the foresight to give patients heart scans before they started this diet. After months and even a couple of years on this diet there is evidence of blockage in arteries by plaque or calcification which is routinely found in people with heart problems.

The medical profession is also finding that in the absence of weight loss on this diet, not only are the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes increased, but it also promotes the development of these diseases in previously lower risk, non-obese individuals.

Scary new info.

Yes, but as with any diet, a healthy fitness regime must be followed even if it is only walking. Anybody who thinks they are going to get into shape on a diet alone is wasting their time....
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
I think each individual will find one diet that will suit them, which will not suit another.... Some are quite happy with Atkins and have no problems with it and others do, I think it all depends on how your own individual system/metabolism works....
For instance, I could not do the Atkins if I wanted to as I am highly allergic to dairy products, so wouldnt be able to eat cheese.

I do agree with Dem though, and that is , as long as you adopt a healthy eating lifestyle and exercise at least 3 times a week, whether it be just going for a walk or whatever... that is all u need to do.

The whole idea is keeping your blood sugar levels, level througout the day, instead of peaking and troughing(in other words if u manage to maintain blood sugar levels,level one's metabolism should be working constantly instead of dropping off or slowing down)
Foods are divided into 3 categories... High Glycaemic Index
Medium Glycaemic Index and Low. Its a matter of getting a balance between these 3. Which most of us do if we adopt a healthy eating lifestyle.
Petunia/Carry
Quote:Originally posted by Petunia

The whole idea is keeping your blood sugar levels, level througout the day, instead of peaking and troughing

Which is whata number of dieticians incuding Atkins advocate...avoiding the carbohydrate cycle....Professor Charles Clark has also written an interesting book on it.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Quote:Originally posted by spam
Which is whata number of dieticians incuding Atkins advocate...avoiding the carbohydrate cycle....Professor Charles Clark has also written an interesting book on it.

Yeah, but the big perception problem with the atkins was his marketing of his diet as allowing you to "eat all the meat and butter you want" - not a very wise move, in retrospect.
Quote:Originally posted by spam
Yes, but as with any diet, a healthy fitness regime must be followed even if it is only walking. Anybody who thinks they are going to get into shape on a diet alone is wasting their time....

Saturated fats are a problem for cardiovascular disease. Any person who has a parent, grandparent or sibling who died of heart disease or stroke should concern themselves with their saturated fat intake.

You're right, diet alone won't cut it.

Oh no! here's a huge factor that's come into play.......

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Saturated fats are a problem for cardiovascular disease. Any person who has a parent, grandparent or sibling who died of heart disease or stroke should concern themselves with their saturated fat intake.

You're right, diet alone won't cut it.

Oh no! here's a huge factor that's come into play.......

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Hehehe nicely put Big Grin

As with any eating regime, a mix of exercise and appropriate eating habits will be of the most beneficial and long lasting.

Spam touched on it earlier ......... following the regime properly will undoubtably be the best way for this eating regime, changing at the appropriate times, and not sticking with the initial "shock" part of the regime.

There is soooooo much differing advice on what to and what not to eat that its a mie field and who to believe is mind-boggling. Basically, I look at successful people, not ones that have lost lots of weight, as thats no real hardship - but those that have led their life eating and exercising correctly for them. We are all different, our ethnic origins (ancestry( also play a part in who and what we are now. Not everyone is destined to be a waif or superb rrim athlete etc, some are destined to carry weight, and when these people eat badly and exercise little, if at all, then they will pork out!

I carry far too much weight myself and really do need to lose in the region of 80 lbs if I am to get to the stated " ideal" weight ..... but i'd end up looking like a malnourished triw if I did Big Grin (I can dream) What I think it boils down to is simple bad habit and laziness built up over the years, lack of decent exercise, sedentary (spl) lifestyle and convenience foods in excess. Simply addressing these points in question will yield results and weight loss will continue until a point is reached where no weight is being lost as such, but fat is being metabilised into muscle etc ......... then its a case of maintenance rather than "dieting to lose" as such.

Age is also another factor as is our lifestyles, so we need to question why we do what we do and work out what it is we want. Nothing comes for nothing and that is simply what these "fad" diets offer .......... results without the effort, and frankly its not going to work, ever - over a long period.

BH
Toktokkie - Exactly....
I am with u 100 percent of the way.

As far as the High,Med, Low Glycaemic index I was talking about,these indexes are not just for carbs its for all foods, i.e. meat, fruit, veg etc. It does not mean u cut out or cut down on the carbs at all. Basically its just balancing the right type of carb
intake(i.e.simplex or complex carbs) not cutting it out entirely or minimising the intake, plus its balancing other foods like,for example,red meat/beef in particular has a high glycaemic index,oily fish has a Low Glycaemic index.

Anyway, enough of this blether,blether....mumbo jumbo...
The main thing is to remember, eat whatever u like as long as its in moderation.....(eg. instead of eating a whole bar of choc at once, have one or 2 blocks), make omelettes with egg whites as opposed to the yolk, or even use one yolk and the rest whites.)
'Moderation' is the main key.
Petunia/Carry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkins Diet whirlpool 42 18,382 18-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Joan
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,322 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,600 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,689 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: