Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IS circumcision of a new born a form of child abuse?
Quote:Originally posted by MzInterpret
There is no way you can compare the female circumcision in some African countries to circumcisions done to baby boys!!!!

Deciding to circumcise your baby is a parents choice and cause the baby only minor discomfort. It's only painful when the baby is a few months older.....

My eldest son was circumcised at 3 months on the advice of a doctor and he was very uncomfortable and miserable as a result. My second son was circumcised at 23 hours and didn't seem to mind as there was no crying at routine nappy changes. The only reason I had my boys circumcised is because I think it is a lot easier to be hygienic.....

Hey Mz!!!

So Cool to see you here!! Been waiting AGES to see your name to pop up!!!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
I had my son circumsized after he was born because I wanted him to look like his daddy. :o

He is perfectly normal today folks, despite the abuse and since he is also a doctor, he has circumsized other baby boys with no flash backs of the abuse either Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
I had my son circumsized after he was born because I wanted him to look like his daddy. :o

He is perfectly normal today folks, despite the abuse and since he is also a doctor, he has circumsized other baby boys with no flash backs of the abuse either Wink

Perhaps one should also look beyond the little boys.......Jewish women have a lower incidence of cervical and other "female" related cancers than have other women ......

It is not only done for religious purposes and has nothing to do with the reasons given by MgV
Jemlet, I admire your guts at posting this topic.

I posted a similar one on another site recently and the whole thread went on and on with pros and cons until I felt miserable and desponant, I was repeatedly accused of being a total and absolute 'savage' and 'barbarian'.

It was one of the biggest and toughest decisions that I have had to make as a mother to date. Should I listen to my friends who where against it, or do what my family says and have it done? My husband is circumcised and wasn't fazed whether our little boy was done or not. It was going to cost us £150 to have it done privately since it isn't common in the UK and that was also a big factor in the decision process. We had it done.......

He is almost 2 now and is a well-adjusted little boy - no regrets now on my part, but how it will affect him later on in life with all the stigmas attatched to it, I have no idea........ ugh, he can blame me if he has to.
Egnat what if you don't mind me asking was the final thing that made up your mind?
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Perhaps one should also look beyond the little boys.......Jewish women have a lower incidence of cervical and other "female" related cancers than have other women ......

It is not only done for religious purposes and has nothing to do with the reasons given by MgV

That is a very interesting fact.... where did you find that out?
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Jemlet, I think I knew that I wanted it done and my families' influence was a big factor. The toughest part was getting to do it (if that makes sense), it is a hard concept for a mum to know that she will be putting her child through pain, even if it is only for a very short period of time and then it is over and done with.

My dad also had horrific stories of mates of his during the Rhodesian bush war who weren't circumcised and the agony that they experienced in very unhygenic conditions - not that my son is ever likely to be in that situation, but I was keen on the hygiene thing.

I am sending you a pm shortly, so that you can see that link to the forum that I mentioned previously (in case you are interested on a few more viewpoints). Give me time to find it..... it may help you if you are making the decision.
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
That is a very interesting fact.... where did you find that out?
Pam M
Read it in a few medical journals some time ago, one was the SA Med Journal and the other one was JAMA, I cannot tell you which vol and which year, but am sure it can be found somewhere.
Pam M
Read it in a few medical journals some time ago, one was the SA Med Journal and the other one was JAMA, I cannot tell you which vol and which year, but am sure it can be found somewhere.

Thanks
--Mahatma Gandhi
Pam M
The main cause of cervical cancer is the Papiloma virus and multiple sexual partners and many researches have done a lot to disprove the facts , it can be found on the internet.
I suppose it depends on who funded the study??
And what one chooses to believe?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Price of a Child Toktokkie 7 5,401 31-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Last Post: oe-la-la
  Registering A New Born Baby Bean of Love 2 4,546 28-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Last Post: mcamp999
  Child Trust Fund Accounts dudette 1 3,891 16-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Bean of Love
  First, second and third child.... Icecub 4 3,948 24-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Ameniatha
  Reasons not to mess with a child Jillibeans 4 4,777 08-02-2004, 05:56 PM