Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My puppy's hurt
Thanks all.
I agree Jan. I saw the vet again this morning and scheduled the surgery for Monday morning 8:00AM. I have till then to decide whether I want to do both legs at the same time or have one done Monday and the other later.
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie

I took her to her vet and she needs surgery. I was upset at this news and have taken her to another vet for a second opinion and he says the same thing. The tendon, to which the patella is attached, and runs the length of the leg, has totally come off and is sitting on the inside of her leg.

I got home and have stretched the leg out and put the tendon back where it should be and am keeping it there with a splint and bandage hoping it will stay but I know it probably won't.

Can't really get my head around this one Toktokkie and in advance I apologise if I am getting the wrong end of the stick.

Are you saying that you took her home after the opinions two Vet's and that you tried to fix it yourself, without anaesthetic? That is what I am reading. I hope I am wrong.

Toktokkie, IMO it is one thing loving your dog and crying over a procedure, but it is a totally different thing to delay the procedure and leave the dog in obvious pain (as you described) for a second longer than necessary. This wouldn't happen to a child, so why to an animal?

I am sorry, if I offend anyone.

I hope Lexi recovers fully and lives a very happy and active life.

T.

Edited - ForumAdmin
We had a dog with tendon trouble and, in the end, had surgery on both his legs. He had the second round of surgery very late on in life (about 9 years) but made full recoveries both times and when he went, his legs were the least of his trouble.

As for something happening under anaesthetic, that is always possible even for humans, but the advances in surgery have been amazing and such problems are fairly unlikely.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara

Toktokkie, IMO it is one thing loving your dog and crying over a procedure, but it is a totally different thing to delay the procedure and leave the dog in obvious pain (as you described) for a second longer than necessary. This wouldn't happen to a child, so why to an animal?

Tara, let me go into more detail than I thought was necessary.

I'll begin by stating that when the accident occurred (around 9:00PM) I immediately took Lexi to the animal emergency hospital where the vet on duty examined her and gave her a shot to keep her quiet and told me that my vet's office would call me first thing in the morning, which they did. Veterinarians run their practices according to schedules, just like human doctors do. Perhaps they work differently in the UK but over here they do not wait around for people like me to show up and then perform surgery on the spot. My vet squeezed me in, examined Lexi and informed me that she would need to have surgery and showed me why by gently sliding the tendon back in place only to have it slip back off. She put my hand where hers was to show me what was taking place. Lexi was in no pain since the tendon was relaxed and not pulled tight. She was given anti inflammatory medication as well as an antibiotic to start her on, in preparation for the surgery that they scheduled for Monday.

I was upset at the news and so stopped by another veterinarian office closer to home and scheduled an appointment for a second opinion. Same diagnosis.

When I got home I slid the tendon back in place and bound the leg in a splint and bandaged it to try to keep it in place and also because I hated to see her fall down when she would forget about her leg and put her weight on it. With the bandage on, she doesn't try to use the leg.

Edited - ForumAdmin
Toktokkie - Like Tara I thought that you ignored the vets' advice and tried to fix the problem yourself...

Thanx for the full explanation Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Toktokkie - Like Tara I thought that you ignored the vets' advice and tried to fix the problem yourself...

Thanx for the full explanation Smile

As a matter of fact, the surgery was scheduled for later in the day and I went in the next day to see if she could have it done as early as possible and got it pushed up to the early morning slot. Whatever, it's not relavant.

How could it be thought that I ignored the vet's advise when I stated what would happen if she did not have the surgery and I also stated that the surgery was scheduled for 8:00AM Monday morning? :confused:
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
As a matter of fact, the surgery was scheduled for later in the day and I went in the next day to see if she could have it done as early as possible and got it pushed up to the early morning slot. Whatever, it's not relavant.

How could it be thought that I ignored the vet's advise when I stated what would happen if she did not have the surgery and I also stated that the surgery was scheduled for 8:00AM Monday morning? :confused:

From your initial post...

"I got home and have stretched the leg out and put the tendon back where it should be and am keeping it there with a splint and bandage hoping it will stay but I know it probably won't."

Where you didn't mention what the vet had showed you....
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
From your initial post...

"I got home and have stretched the leg out and put the tendon back where it should be and am keeping it there with a splint and bandage hoping it will stay but I know it probably won't."

Where you didn't mention what the vet had showed you....

Jan, both doctors told me the risks involved with surgery. It is not without risk. Of course I hoped against hope that the doctor could be wrong, or that there was another option to surgery. That's the reason I was hoping to get an appointment with the veterinarian orthopaedic surgeon.

Edited - ForumAdmin
Well I did apologise in advance in case I had misread what I was reading.

And again after what I had written in case anyone was offended by what I said.
We hope that Lexi makes an admirable recovery.

An injury to a loved one can certainly be a traumatic experience

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistant Right Aortic Arch - Labrador puppy - advice and tips please Cheffie 29 13,004 13-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Cheffie
  Our puppy... 0 4,868 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: